Propeller ID difficulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller ID difficulty

My dad passed away unexpectedly and left me with this propeller, which he’s had for decades. I cannot yet find any match for the info stamped on it. Here it is:

DES. 69J.

NO.5374

H.P.40.

R.P.M.2676

Happy to post pics if needed. Thanks for any help!

Here are some pics
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Go to this page and look for the aircraft listed for "69J ...". It could have been used on any one of those aircraft, all using a 40 HP engine. The number after 69J just refers to the propeller pitch in inches.

Comment

Thank you! So anything with 69 J would have been appropriate for this propeller. Got it!!

Comment

Any idea what the “DES.” signifies??

Comment

Originally posted by moschenross View Post
            Abbreviation for Design number.

Comment

Originally posted by moschenross View Post
              The DESIGN number "69J" will also correspond to a Type Certificate, which is an authorization number filed with the FAA that certifies the design for use on specified engines. Often one Type Certificate will apply to several different designs, and almost all of them allow a range of different pitch measurements under that Certificate.

Also, the "NO. 5374" is a serial number, and assuming the prop was manufactured by Sensenich that's a very low number and probably reflects a manufacturing date in the early 1930s but certainly before 1942 when serial numbers were prefixed with a letter designation.

Comment

Working...
              X