• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anzani Propeller

Hi

i have an Anzani propellor with the following stamp:

S K 8 2 3 / 1

does anyone know what aircraft it is from?

Please could you post some photos?
    Preumably it is stamped with the word “Anzani”? -This would refer to the manufacturer of the engine it was intended for and, although it doesn’t narrow down the possibilities a great deal, it does suggest that your propeller dates from the WW1 era or slightly later.

Comment

Hi

photos as follows
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Thanks; that’s a nice prop. Any chance you could upload photos showing the front and back of the hub, and a photo showing the full length of the prop from the front?
        The measurement from tip to tip would also be useful, as would any information you may have as to its history. Every bit of information helps, even little things such as the country in which you acquired it.

Comment

Hi

ill upload some more photos later today. As I understand it the prop came from Doncaster Aerodrome and dates back to approx 1920. Now for the bad bit - it was cut down in the 1950s and a clock mounted in the hub. Luckily the family that chopped it up kept the blades! I have managed to fix them back and blend then in.

paul

Comment

Hi the prop is 85 inches/217 cm from tip to tip.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Thanks, I’ll see if I can find out anything.
              That SK 823/1 marking ought to positively identify it, given the appropriate reference material.
              Bob Gardner used to be the “go-to” man for information about early British propellers but he hasn’t been active on this forum for a while, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Thp378 View Post
                Hi the prop is 85 inches/217 cm from tip to tip.
                Waaay too many bolt holes for an Anzani engine, and it doesn't look as if it's actually been mounted on anything. (Often props were re-purposed for a different engine, at least for civilian use.) It might be a reproduction, as the stampings are unlike other Anzani props I've seen. See these two links - Ebora Anzani and Helice Normale.

This propeller was British manufactured for an Anzani engine, with fairly "typical" British nomenclature in the stamps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post

Waaay too many bolt holes for an Anzani engine
                  I don’t think it is safe to assume that all of those bolt holes are original, especially as they form two distinct circles of different diameter.
                  The inner circle of 8 slightly larger bolt holes appears consistent with some larger Anzani engines and comparison of the bolt circle dimensions might shed some light on the matter (See photo).
                  The outer circle holes don’t look right somehow and I wonder if they were added later to house dummy bolts for display purposes, maybe because the clock that was mounted in the hub obscured part of the original holes?

Thp378, please could you measure the diameters of the two distinct bolt circles (i.e. distance between centres of opposite bolt holes) and also measure the bolt hole diameters themselves?
                  The hub thickness would be useful, too (not including the piece which has obviously been added).
                  This probably won’t lead to a positive identification but may well rule out some possibilities.
                  E8350DE9-4286-4705-818A-9A1E637E3C04.jpeg
                  Last edited by Mtskull; 10-27-2021, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X