B.shoningers pre1922 eagle propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.shoningers pre1922 eagle propeller

Hi; Looking for information on this prop. Almost 9' long, blade 10", hub is about 5 5/8'X2 5/8. Looks like it's mahogany? Has the old B. Shoninger company New Haven Conn USA label, with "Eagle" in the middle. According to my research, the company changed hands in 1922 and so did the logo.

See this link for starters.
    Dave

Comment

Shoninger Prop

Hi Dave; Thanks for the info. Was wondering if you had any input to where I could get an idea of it's value. It looks different than the one on that web page. Although the leading edge is canted forward, away from the hub, the trailing edge is more rounded. Eventually would like to sell it and would want to find it new home. Thanks John

Comment

That depends so much on condition and identification that it just can't be done with so little information. The value range is very wide.

There should be numbers stamped on the hub, which may (or may not) lead to a more accurate identification of what it was used on.
        Dave

Comment

Shoninger prop

It doesn't have any numbers stamped on the hub. I live about 40 miles from New Haven CT. Got the prop from a guy who cleaned out houses and did flea markets. He also knew a lot of people in this area. He got the prop from an old timer who used to work at the factory. It has a sliver, a chip, about a foot long and about 2" wide at the tip of one blade. Told me the damage was done at the factory and never shipped. After kicking around the storage room for some time, the old timer bought it from Shoninger. The patina on the break looks contemporary. Appears to have the original finish. Maybe could get some pictures? Thanks John

Comment

Well, I think the best you're going to be able to do is find what engine it may have been destined for, or at least rule out ones that it wasn't. See this page and then click through to the link on actual dimensions of some hubs.

That sounds like a fairly sizable chunk out of the blade. A picture really would help . . .
            Dave

Comment

Shoninger Prop

According to the page you provided, the measurements refer to the metal hub assembly. Have never seen it. Took some measurements as accurately as possible. Bolt circle; 5.21", bolt hole; .368", center hub bore; 2.712, hub thickness; 5 5/8". Doesn't seem to match up with any on this page. It mentioned that the metal hub assembly is somewhat different. Will try to get some pictures posted soon. Thanks John

Comment

pictures

Attempting to provide pictures of the prop.

Comment

pictures

Attempting to upload pictures
                  Attached Files

Comment

Can you get a photo of the entire prop, with the camera "looking straight through the center bore"?

Comment

Shoninger

There's a ceiling fan right in the way. I'll try to get someone this weekend to help take it down.

Comment

Got a few inches of snow last night. A lot of glare today. Hope these pictures help
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X