1933 wooden propellor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1933 wooden propellor

I’m hoping someone can give me some advice on this propellor. It belonged to my father who was a pilot who began flying before WW2, in Australia. Does the word “Gypsy” suggest “moth”? Also intriguing is the title, “Invincible”. Also, while it has obviously sufffered from damage (unsure whether from a crash and/or deterioration over the years), I’m uncertain whether it would have sufficient value to warrant listing it on our insurance contents. Any advice greatly accepted.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Apologies all - I should have hunted around the site before asking. I’ve highlighted the batch it seems to be on from in the list on attached additional pic.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Good work, and thanks to Bob Gardner who provided that list years ago.

Propellers are like tires. Certain models were certified for a variety of aircraft and frequently replaced due to wear or damage, so they were made in large quanties. (The American Propeller Manufacturing Company had made over 25,000 wooden propellers by the end of WW1, and most of the combat propellers were manufactured in Europe by hundreds of other manufacturers.)

Yours was most likely damaged in use and the tips removed. It has very little monetary value.

Comment

Thank you very much for providing the additional information and context (had wondered about the flat ends).And thanks to Bob Gardner.) Provides enhanced story for interested visitors. Again, many thanks.

Comment

A quick Google search reveals that the company “Invincible Airscrews” was founded in NSW in 1932 and is still manufacturing propellers.

Comment

Working...
          X