Help with Propeller ID- War Relic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Propeller ID- War Relic

Hi: This prop piece was purchased from a war relics dealer in Scotland, 2005. It was sawn off a shot down wreck, but he couldn’t identify it specifically. I’m hoping someone has some thoughts on it. Many thanks, Jennison.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

It's practically impossible to identify it without the information that was stamped on the hub. There are just too many models with different shapes and sizes, and there is no database to search on shape and size of a single blade. On VERY rare occasions a propeller may match a know existing model, but even then a single blade could match different makes and models of aircraft.

Comment

If I may add my thoughts: I would take any claims that something is a “war relic” or from a “shot down wreck” with a pinch of salt unless accompanied by other evidence.
      (I recently saw a propeller advertised with “D-Day history” that bore a serial number showing that it was made in 1986!).
      Your blade is clearly from a later later era than WW1, but by WW2 there were few combat aircraft using laminated wooden propellers, so probably not shot down.
      That said, during WW2 innumerable accidents occurred to training aircraft in the UK with many happening in the mountains of Scotland; I would have thought it more likely that your propeller blade, if genuinely a war relic, came from one of these. I have included a comparative photo of your blade with a propeller from an Airspeed Oxford aircraft; I think this is a possibility BUT one of many possibilities; as Dave Bahnson points out, there simply isn’t enough information to positively determine the origin of your blade.

2D688FFF-46BA-454A-B06E-A3FF00811441.jpeg

Comment

Thank you very much for that! BTW, this was purchased in 2005 from a place called “The Treasure Bunker” in Glasgow. I know nothing of them and purchased this from the person who bought it there.

Comment

Working...
        X