Help identify an old wood propeller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify an old wood propeller.

Hello. I recently picked up an old wooden propeller and was hoping someone could tell me roughly when it is from or what king of plane used it.

the guy i got it from said his grandpa took it from a plane he used in ww2. Both his father and grandpa have passed away at this point and so i cant get any more information or confirmation on that. At some point someone added a clock to it.

It measures at 86 inches long and has 8 holes. There are 2 spots when it is marked "not air worthy". It also has some numbers and letters marked on it. Tried to get a picture of them, but the letters are hard to make out.

I tried searching the internet and found a few very similar pictures. The similar ones were claimed to be from a Pt19 fairchild training aircraft, but i dont know if that is the same as mine.

If anyone could provide some help it would be appreciated. Thanks and i hope you all have a great day!

Attached Files

I think it's a Sensenich propeller. See photo below with stamped info.

You can go to this page, scroll down to find the design number, 86r61, and see that it was designed for either a Fairchild or Fleet airplane with the Ranger 180 HP engine. The 86 is the diameter (length) of the propeller and the 61 is the pitch in inches. The serial number 27466 indicates that it was manufactured between 1932 and 1942, probably closer to the later date.

There are hundreds of propellers with this general design, but they can have different length and pitch and different manufacturers, so the stamped numbers are essential for identification.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thank you so much for the information, that is super helpful to know and interesting to learn a bit about these things. I also appreciate how fast you were able to help. I hope you have a great day!

Now to Go see if i can fit it on my wall.

Comment

Working...
      X