G. Merville prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G. Merville prop

I'm a new member, so please forgive me if I commit any faux pas!

I just bought a G. Merville prop (max 6 images attached). I did a naive Google search on the N number (N17489) and this De Havilland DH-82 Tiger Moth popped up: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n17489

Is this a correct ID of the plane it was once attached to? Can anyone tell me anything else about the prop?

Many thanks!

Kim
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

7th image
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

No, I think that "N" number is production number. The Tiger Moth used various Gypsy engines which used left hand threaded propellers. Yours is a right hand rotation ("thread") commonly used on U.S. manufactured aircraft. I think the "Cont 90" refers to a Continental 90 HP engine which was also used on a variety of U.S. built aircraft, most of which were manufactured in the 40s and 50s but many of which are still in operation.

Comment

The clues are all in the fourth photo: CV is an abbreviation for Chevaux, literally meaning horses in French. JOD D117 denotes Jodel D117, a French designed light touring monoplane, which used the 90hp Continental engine.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thank you so much for the great info! I got my hopes up about the still-flying Tiger Moth, but accurate information is always more valuable than fantasies.

Comment

Hi,

Dave and Mtskull have already written the main thing. I just add some details:

Markings:
            - Side 1:
            -- TYPE 929 : TYPE = Serial. It is the drawing number. Merville serial 929 was
            -- N 17489 : N = Number. It is the prop number. During year 1957, Merville made propellers from around number 17400 to number between 17600 and 17700.

- Side 2:
            -- JOD D117: plane marking for Jodel D-117
            -- CONT 90 CV: engine marking for Continental 90 HP

-Flat side:
            -- 17489: prop number (same as side 1, used along prop making, before "lateral" sides stamped.
            -- 1 8 57: gluing date or inspection date (August 1st 1957).

On each blade foot: G Merville Billancourt for Georges Merville (the founder of the company in the early 20's) and Billancourt, a town near Paris where was the factory was in the 50's and which is now Boulogne-Billancourt.

Could you give me the exact length? I think it it somewhere around 183 cm (72.05"), but I will appreciate an exact number.

Regards,
            PM
            Last edited by pmdec; 02-20-2024, 07:55 PM. Reason: Forgot thanking Mtskull for explaining why the prop was for a Jodel 117... Sorry!

Comment

Thank you all for the great info! According to my tape measure, it's 182.5cm.

Comment

Oh, and you said:

"-- TYPE 929 : TYPE = Serial. It is the drawing number. Merville serial 929 was"

Was there something you were going to add there?

Comment

Hi kbinsted,

Thank you for the exact length! It was what I wanted to add but I didn't found it in my documentation and I forgot to change my writings...

I just can add that Merville factory has been bought by Evra ~40 years ago: https://helices-evra.com/ (you can change French to English at the top right of the page).

Best regards,
                  PM

Comment

Working...
                  X