Identify my father’s Wooden propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify my father’s Wooden propeller

I inherited a Propeller from my father. It was from most likely from a Tiger Moth or Gipsy Moth. I would like to identify the exact aircraft type, if anyone could help, I would be grateful.
    The markings on the propeller are as follows——HERMES IVA GIPSY111. DRG 44070/2. AJ 63260. APR./39
    It has eight ( locating holes, copper faced leading edges.
    Many Thanks

I don't think I can help. Maybe someone else has info, but if it's not on this extensive list I wouldn't know where else to look.

It may not be accurate but according to this Wikipedia page that engine was used on these aircraft:

image_11144.jpg

Comment

I have checked the “extensive list” ..and there’s nothing related to my Propeller.
      Thanks

Comment

Interesting that the propeller is stamped as intended for two different engines, although the Cirrus Hermes and DeHavilland Gipsy series of engines were related.
        As you have found out, the list of candidates for the Hermes lVA application is fairly small however if you search for a list of aircraft powered by the Gipsy lll, the list is very extensive.

Comment

I remember my father telling me about the Gipsy Moth ( Tiger Moth ) being dismantled, my father ex RAF Air Crew, (2nd World War) and others removing the wings and engine.
          He kept the propeller and other parts, the engine went to Australia I believe.
          I’m still looking up info.
          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Alladin 29 View Post
            I remember my father telling me about the Gipsy Moth ( Tiger Moth ) being dismantled, my father ex RAF Air Crew, (2nd World War) and others removing the wings and engine.
            He kept the propeller and other parts, the engine went to Australia I believe.
            I’m still looking up info.
            Thank you.
            All I've ever used is this the dewaxed blonde shellac, and I've been happy with that for lots of different projects. Most of mine have been woodworking where I like to highlight the grain and color of the native wood.

I'd also splurge for the pure alcohol (190 proof) as it contains less water than most alcohol products. In your case you might consider one of the darker flakes in hopes of creating a darker coating, which might hide some of the bleaching appearance. (Apply some household alcohol to the rear of the blade to get an idea of the appearance, then order whatever product seems to able to produce your desired result.)

Clipboard01.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X