My Dad's old propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dad's old propeller

My dad brought a propeller home after his AAF service during WWII with the intention of putting a clock in the middle of it. After all these years I am finally get to it. I am wondering of anyone can help ID it. It is about 9 1/4 inches at the widest point, the center hole is a little short of 4 inches, there are 8 bolts that attached it to the engine. Stamped into the wood are the numbers
    344 above A2835. See attached photo. Any help appreciated. Thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

There's not a lot to go on there, particularly without knowing the manufacturer. I'll look through some of my files to see if that number (A2835) might show up, but even then it would be something of a guess. It doesn't look like it's ever been mounted on an aircraft and might have been a factory reject or just a surplus item that was cut down for some reason.

Comment

Thanks so much. I really do not know where my father got it, I just always remembered it around the house. During the war he was stationed in NM at Ft Sumner for twin engine training and afterwards as an instructor. Then Alamogordo for B-29 training then the war ended. He was recalled for Korea and assigned to the 11th Air Rescue Sqdn at Hickam Field. Could have gotten it anywhere along the line. Thanks again.

Comment

Any luck finding anything? Thanks

Comment

No, I couldn't find anything that might match those numbers, neither of which are consistent with most drawing numbers. You might check out this page, then carefully measure those dimensions on your hub and see if they match anything from the WW 1 era. I suspect it's a later prop (based on the wood species) but there were thousands of different models of those from a number of different manufacturers. Most certificated propellers would have more stamped information on them. It's at least possible that the A2835 is a Sensenich serial number, which would date it to somewhere around 1943, but we don't even know if that is true or just coincidence. In short, there is just not enough information to accurately determine usage of that hub.

Comment

Working...
          X