ARROW SPORT BIPLANE /LeBLONDE 85 HP RADIAL PROPELLERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARROW SPORT BIPLANE /LeBLONDE 85 HP RADIAL PROPELLERS

Does anyone have the propeller and prop bolt hub details that would be applicable to an Arrow Sport biplane equipped with an 85 HP LeBlonde radial?

According to listings on this site and other internet sources there were at least seven different manufacturers which listed propellers specifically for this plane or for this engine:
    Sensenich 84 84"
    Fahlin D-500 80"
    Flottorp 7845LB-50 78"
    Sensenich 78R54 78"
    Gardner 1471-D
    Banks Maxwell 601 (no length listed)
    Stone/Supreme (Arrow listed in their literature, no prop number found)
    Hartzwell (Arrow listed in their literature, no prop number found)

Averaging this data seems like the prop should be about 80" in length with a pitch of 45. Any comments?

Gleaning data from multiple sources (not necessarily correct) I have compiled hub details but don't know if they are accurate. Does anyone have such data or a link to this data. What I have is:
    6 bolts of 0.4375" dia, bolt circle dia 4.625", crush plate diameter 6.625", bore 2.692" with LeBlond #1 taper

Does anyone have a photo of any of the above listed props?

At first glance it looks Flottorp and Sensenich both have lengths of 78 inches and I presume the suffix "LB" on the Flottorp refers to the LeBlond engine. On the Sensenich those numbers would indicate a diameter of 78 inches and a pitch of 54".

For the time being (I may have more information when I get a chance) go to this page and look down the column to find the 7545 LB 50 Flottorp model and its listing for the Arrow Sport. Then open the attached .pdf and find the model number 7845 and you'll see the Type Certificate number and the range of pitches allowed under that TC and various hub sizes allowed as well. The scan doesn't show the far right column but all of those models have "Notes" number 1 and 2, which indicates that the propeller had to be manufactured before September 3, 1948 to be eligible for use on certificated aircraft.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X