Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 Arrow Sport biplane propeller

Hello,

On the picture below you can see a propeller that seems to be Gardner type 1471-D. It is supposed to be installed on Leblonde 85hp, on the pictures the propeller is installed in Leblonde 60hp.

The mission is to make a propeller of a custom pitch, while the length and outline should remain as close to the original as possible.

Now my question is - do we have any frontal picture of a Gardner propeller to get an approximate outline and is there a reliable source somewhere with the original length/pitch of this propeller?

Thank you!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

I don't know exactly why, but those drawings seem almost impossible to find, not just for Gardner propellers but for almost any other propeller as well.

Comment

I don't need a drawing of the original propeller, as I am a propeller manufacturer and I'm going to use my own airfoil and the pitch will be calculated. Even though the original drawing would be a good source of information. As there are propeller collectors and people with knowledge about particular propeller types from the past here, I thought that there could be someone who owns the original Gardner propeller from that era, or someone who would have a better picture of it than me?

Comment

Originally posted by Vasek View Post
        I don't need a drawing of the original propeller, as I am a propeller manufacturer and I'm going to use my own airfoil and the pitch will be calculated. Even though the original drawing would be a good source of information. As there are propeller collectors and people with knowledge about particular propeller types from the past here, I thought that there could be someone who owns the original Gardner propeller from that era, or someone who would have a better picture of it than me?
        Got it. Hopefully someone who has one will respond.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a photo have an issue with parallax? Wouldn't you need a tracing of the propeller shape?

Comment

Yes, I am looking for the propeller shape. At least the outline / contour of the blade from the frontal view.

My level of English language doesn't allow me to understand the term "issue with parallax"

Comment

Parallax refers to the different appearance of an object as seen by a camera (i.e. from a center position) vs. as seen by a scanner (i.e. the entire plane of the object. In other words, a simple photo of the propeller taken from directly in front of the center hole will have some distortion of the blade shape further away from the center.

I think of it this way. If you photograph a propeller with a wide angle lens from a short distance away and also photographic it with a telephoto lens from a long distance away, the images will look quite different. A "tracing" of that same propeller would show its exact shape without those distortions.

It's probably not a big difference, however.

Comment

Working...
            X