Handley Page 42 propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handley Page 42 propeller?

Has anybody any information source to help me confirm the identity of my prop please?
    It is large 137 inches long and has 10 bolt holes. I saw a photo of an HP42 called Hanno where the 4 bladed prop appears to be made up of 2 two bladed props on the same axis.
    There are no numbers on the hub and the brass work has been removed. Photo to follow.
    Any ideas

Positive ID really requires the drawing number stamped on the hub or blade. In cases where there are no numbers it's usually because it was rejected during the manufacturing process, and the stamping occurred late in the process. The stacking of two 2-bladed props was used on some aircraft, I think to make storage and transport easier. On the picture of the Hanno the props appear to have a fairly distinctive shape, so you might be making an accurate guess comparing those to yours. Maybe post a photo?

The ten bolt holes are consistent with the Bristol Jupiter engine.

6922345572_e94e1a1784_c.jpg

Comment

thanks. thats the photo from my Imperial Airways book. I guess it was a relatively low revving engine as the blade is so long

Comment

If it is left hand tractor it is very likely to be a Bristol Jupiter engine application. If it is one half of a ‘doubled up’ 4 blader then the boss will be recessed, as per the HP42 photo. 137” is not unduly large. It may be Westland Wapiti.

Comment

Working...
        X