Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help on this Gypsy Major 1. propeller

Hi,

Was able to purchase this propeller in Norway, but are unable to track wich type of aircraft it might have been used on. The Auster, D.H. 90, D.H. 60 and D:H 82 are among planes used pre WW2, during WW2 and post WW2.

Markings on propeller:

I'm not sure where else to look, since it's not on this list provided by Bob Gardner several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
      I'm not sure where else to look, since it's not on this list provided by Bob Gardner several years ago.
      Exactly - I have been able to trace the propeller back to Denmark. The propeller tips are painted in the same orange colour (( more orange in real life, than picture tells) as their DH Chipmunks had. Might be one of those propellers.

Comment

To expand the search, I have looked through my 1952 list of all the propellers that were then certified for use in the U.K. and your drawing number does not match any, nor do the diameter and pitch exactly correspond with any on the list. This is likely to be a tricky one to identify, as numerous different aircraft types used the Gipsy Major 1 engine; furthermore the same propeller design number could be applicable to several different aircraft types and several different design numbers could apply to a single aircraft type.
        For what it is worth, I think it unlikely that your propeller came from a Chipmunk; most examples used the Gipsy Major 8 or 10 variants and I believe that most, if not all, used metal propellers. I think it more likely that your propeller dates from the 1930’s; the propellers on my list with diameter and pitch that most closely match yours, are mainly applicable to the De Havilland Tiger Moth, Puss Moth, Fox Moth, Hornet Moth and Leopard Moth series of aircraft, also the Miles Hawk.
        Last edited by Mtskull; 12-05-2022, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtskull View Post
          To expand the search, I have looked through my 1952 list of all the propellers that were then certified for use in the U.K. and your drawing number does not match any, nor do the diameter and pitch exactly correspond with any on the list. This is likely to be a tricky one to identify, as numerous different aircraft types used the Gipsy Major 1 engine; furthermore the same propeller design number could be applicable to several different aircraft types and several different design numbers could apply to a single aircraft type.
          For what it is worth, I think it unlikely that your propeller came from a Chipmunk; most examples used the Gipsy Major 8 or 10 variants and I believe that most, if not all, used metal propellers. I think it more likely that your propeller dates from the 1930’s; the propellers on my list with diameter and pitch that most closely match yours, are mainly applicable to the De Havilland Tiger Moth, Puss Moth, Fox Moth, Hornet Moth and Leopard Moth series of aircraft, also the Miles Hawk.
          Thanks a lot for your informative reply. Yes, this is a tricky one. I do agree with the propeller probably not coming from a Cipmunk in retrospective. As you write, they usually have the metal ones with a spinner attached. This one is quite similar to the ones used on several De Havilland aircrafts as you say. I have looked under som paint chips coming off on the tip. There is typical yellow paint, and under the yellow and black paint I can see laquered wood. So it was probably original in bare wood and being painted later on.

Comment

I think this is likely a Z602 Prop for a DH80A Puss Moth when fitted with a Gipsy Major I.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_pilkington View Post
              I think this is likely a Z602 Prop for a DH80A Puss Moth when fitted with a Gipsy Major I.
              Thanks a lot, Mark. Very helpfull

Comment

Working...
              X