Propeller/Aircraft Identification request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller/Aircraft Identification request

I'm new to this very interesting website and forum. I am trying to find out what/who's aircraft a Hugo Heine propeller in my possession was fitted to.
    My Father, long deceased, always maintained that he'd acquired it when apprenticed to de Havillands at Stag Lane in the early 1930s. It was, he said, life expired and was removed from one of the aeroplanes belonging to HRH The Prince of Wales. No paperwork or provenance of course.
    All I know is that it has been in the family ever since I can remember, I'm now 75, and it's about time I found out a little more.
    It is a handsome prop, one that I could imagine fitted to a Royal aircraft and looked after by de Havillands and, a little lazy digging by me, shows that HRH owned a few DH Moths in the early '30s that were powered by DH Gipsy III engines.
    It is a Hugo Heine propeller Serial Number 52145.
    Lovely triangular decals reading 'HUGO HEINE BERLIN O 34, MOBELFABRIK, PROPELLERWORK'
    Small damaged ident decal on one blade showing engine 'GIPSY III', date of manufacture '19..' and another number starting '15...' or '1.5....'
    Diameter 1880mm/74"
    Pitch unknown
    8 bolt holes in hub
    2 small '5's stamped on rear face of hub (balance marks?)
    Brass LE sheathing secured by copper rivets soldered flush (therefore post 1933?)
    Laminate material appears to be mahogany
    The clock stuck in the centre is not original!
    Hopefully the photos give an idea but any help with information regarding this propeller, the engine it was fitted to and/or the aeroplane that it 'pulled' along would be much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Attached Files

That's going to be hard to identify, IMHO. If you go to this list and scroll down you'll see a number of props that fit the Gipsy III engine. With the information you have, about all I can say it that it's likely to be one of those, but based on your historical info it would seem that a Moth would be likely.

Comment

Many thanks Dave for that list but I see that it is headed 'British Props HTM'. As Hugo Heine was a German manufacturer I'm wondering what data may be out there showing who in the UK would buy in foreign made propellers for use on their aeroplanes, albeit a well-made propeller. DHs would surely have mounted one of their own props on brand new models straight off the production line.

Comment

Working...
      X