Generator propeller??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator propeller??

I just bought his small propeller (appr 80 centimeters diameter) from a seller in Australia. Unfortunately he couldn't supply me with any background to it so I therefore turn to this forum.

One speculation (guess) has been made that it may have been a propeller for a generator of the airship R.101 for which spare parts were sent to Australia as part of the spare part logistics that was set up.

Does anyone have any idea on what it is?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

It certainly might be an auxiliary prop as you describe. To my knowledge there is no database to identify it, however.

Comment

It certainly has all of the characteristics of a generator propeller.
      It doesn’t bear any resemblance to those fitted to the R 101 though. 46821395-C353-4817-A0B6-663BFF3E330B.jpeg

Comment

Thank you for the picture.
        I was rather thinking of a generator for the airship’s “cockpit”. For instance the LZ.127 Graf Zeppelin had two smaller generators next to the captains gondola.

Comment

The R. 101 doesn’t appear to have been so equipped.
          7960680C-56B5-4092-9278-2FB7CB24F079.jpeg0C14AD2B-1C6A-4C67-8578-763ED63A1E3B.jpeg
          I am wondering whether the purpose of your propeller might have been to drive the winch on a target tug?
          The only clear illustration I could find depicts an RAF example but the RAAF certainly used Beaufighters (and probably other types) as target tugs.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Mtskull; 10-16-2021, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Thank you, very good close ups as well. The Beaufighter target tug seems like a plausible candidate for sure.

Comment

Working...
            X