Banks wooden propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banks wooden propeller

Hello! I just purchased a wooden propeller stamped Banks - Dallas Texas - Design 146 - Serial 26. There are six bolt holes in the hub and metal reinforcement on the leading edges. I would like to know more about it - when it was made, how it was used, what it is worth, etc. I have no intention of selling it. If you can shed some light on the subject, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

I'd have to see it to know more, but although Banks (Banks-Maxwell) made some aircraft propellers, most of the ones I've seen are for airboats or other land based vehicles. Typically if it has flat pitched blades and squared-off tips it was used for one of those applications. A picture could help.

Comment

Hello! Thanks for your reply. The propeller has rounded tips and angled blades. I am right in the middle of mounting it on the wall. I'll send you a photo when I'm done. I appreciate your expertise on this subject because I have none. I bought the propeller over the phone and picked it up in Galena on Monday. Thanks again!

Comment

I'll send you a photo tomorrow if I can figure out how to post one on this site. Any advice on that point would be helpful and appreciated.

Comment

You can email it to dave@woodenpropeller.com and I can add it to your post, I think.

Comment

I'll do it right now. Thanks!

Comment

Here are the photos sent to me. Based on the shape I think it's more likely an aircraft (vs. airboat) propeller, but notice that it's a left hand thread, which is usually associated with either a pusher application or a more unusual engine type. I don't see that design number listed on the small list of Banks propellers that I have.

I think it's going to be hard to know what it was used on.

IMG_2491.JPGIMG_2482.JPG

Comment

I really appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I started at square one here and am glad to learn anything I can. Enjoy the rest of Labor Day! The daily routine is knocking at the door.

Comment

I believe this may have been for an Aero Sleigh / Aero Sled. I've had a couple of similar props over the years.
                  Attached Files

Comment

You've pointed me in the right direction and I appreciate it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Comment

Working...
                    X