Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify my propeller

Hello,
    I recently bought a A property and found this beautiful propeller hidden in the backyard shack. It looks old enough and I’m curious to know of its history or its value. Also if someone has any ideas on how to restore it?
    As you can see from the pictures one side slightly damaged from leaning on the ground for so many years. For the rest of it it looks in a fairly good condition and some markings and serial numbers I guess are still clearly visible. I am hoping it’s enough information for someone to give me a hint on one plane this could have been mounted and if it has any value today
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Can you post a close-up of the decals, or what remains of them?

Comment

Hello and Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately nothing left from the decal except the white batch where they were.

Comment

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Comment

In the fifth photo I can discern the third line a reading “GIPSY MAJOR”, referring to the De Havilland engine of that name. The propeller therefore cannot date from earlier than 1932, when the Gipsy Major was first produced.
            Wikipedia shows an extensive list of aircraft which use that engine; it might be possible to narrow down the possibilities from the date on the fourth line (a date prior to 1946 rules out the DHC Chipmunk, for example).
            Unfortunately I can only make out the month (FEB) but not the year from that photo, although a “3” appears to be visible.
            The country in which it was discovered might also provide a clue as to the aircraft the propeller was fitted to.

Comment

OK, having done a little more digging on the internet in general and this forum in particular:
              I cannot categorically state this as fact but I believe that the number “GG 100 B” refers to a propeller manufactured by Granby Aviation of Quebec, the design being intended for DeHavilland Tiger Moth and Fox Moth aircraft.
              The shape and design of the Granby decal is also consistent with such details as can be discerned from the photos the propeller in question.
              I hope this helps.

Comment

Wow, you are amazing, and I really appreciate the time you took to research and answer. I found this propeller in the province of Quebec, so your theory on Dehavbilland makes a lot if sense now. I will try to decipher the date further when I get back to my cabin. What do you know of a way to restore the broken tip of it? It looks like it is covered by some kind of a waxed material .

Comment

You should absolutely leave the damaged tip as is. It adds nothing to the history or value of the item and actually detracts from its value as a display item.

Comment

If the foregoing sounds ambiguous, I think what Dave Bahnson is saying is that to repair the broken tip would actually detract from the propeller’s value.

Meanwhile, I have been doing even more digging and find that Granby Aviation Ltd. was incorporated in April 1942, so assuming that my sources are correct your propeller cannot date from earlier than this.
                    ​​​​​Again, assuming that my sources are correct in that the same propeller design was used for both Tiger Moth and Fox Moth (perfectly plausible as they both used the Gipsy Major engine), I cannot think of a way to determine definitively which type your propeller was fitted to, although the production numbers make the Tiger Moth the much more likely option, with 1550 built in Canada versus 53 Fox Moth.

Comment

Again, this is very helpful and I am enjoying learning more about my find, and can not but be impressed by your knowledge on the matter and your willingness to share.

Comment

You are too kind. I’m not really any kind of expert (you need Mr. Bahnson or Mr. Gardner for that) however I do enjoy the challenge of seeking out such information as exists and, as it is all in the public domain, I am more than happy to share it.

Comment

Working...
                        X