Roby 203 88" Propeller Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roby 203 88" Propeller Questions

I recently purchased what I believe is a 88" Roby 203 propeller. I'm a pilot/wood-worker and am considering restoring it to something like the prop with the red hub to hang in my house. I don't see any Beechcraft labels on it and I don't believe it has been previously restored. It has no paint on the front or the back side.

1 - Do you guys have any information on this propeller such as the years produced or what it might have been used on? If it were Beechcraft, it would have a label on it, correct?

2 - Should I restore it or is it best left alone?

3 - What would this be worth unrestored vs restored?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Generally speaking, any prop in original condition should not be restored. If someone else has "restored" it previously, "re-re-restoration" might improve it. My advice would be to contact Monte Chase at http://notplanejane.com. He's the expert on variable pitch propellers, and could have some materials (e.g. decals) if restoration is appropriate in this case.

Comment

I was taking a close look at the prop and I believe it has been refinished once before. In the attached picture, I noticed that there are lines across the wood where it looks to have had paint in the past on front and back. This would more closely match the other examples found on the NPJ website (also waiting for email reply). One side has a drip of finish along the edge, which I don't believe would have been allowed in the original. At this point, I think I'll go ahead with a restoration and not feel bad about it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X