Dad's Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad's Prop

I am my parent's executor. Dad had a nice wooden prop that is probably at least 60 years old. We only have partial identification which is as below:

DES (damaged space) 437
    SER (damaged space) 925
    A.T.C. 390 ( not sure is there is damaged space here - I got this from my brother)

Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.

To what degree does the damaged lettering effect value?

Gardner Propellers made a model #1487 under Type Certificate 390, and I suspect that's what yours is. It's 95 1/2 inches in diameter and was used on a 115 hp engine. If it doesn't have Gardner (or other) decals that probably tells you more about its value than damage to the numbers.

That type certificate expired March 8, 1957.
    Dave

Comment

I don't beleive it has any decals.

I will ask my brother to measure it.

Comment

Talking to my brother, we found:

The length (diameter if you will) is 95.5"
        The bore 2.625 to 2.75 (he didn't have a good way to measure the bore)
        The bolt circle is 5.25" dia. with eight 3/8" diameter holes.
        The hub thickness is 4"

There is a impression of a 6" diameter mounting plate on the hub.

He said that the "3" in 437 could be a poorly formed "8," but he didn't sound very confident about that.

He confirmed that there are no decals.

Are there prints / drawings of these props available?

To what degree do the lack of decal and damaged numbering affect value, a little or a lot?

Comment

The value depends on its condition, and usually when there are no decals it implies that it has been refinished at some point. Its only value is as a display propeller (as it is not airworthy), and that value is signficantly lowered by the refinishing. Look on eBay at completed sales for comparable values.
          Dave

Comment

Please bear with me, I am unfamilier about how to get on completed sales sites on E-bay.

Comment

Originally posted by listermann View Post
              Please bear with me, I am unfamilier about how to get on completed sales sites on E-bay.
              You have to be a registered eBay user first, then when you get the listings under search words "wooden propeller", look to the left hand side of the page for a "completed listings" box to check, which opens up the pages of actual sales instead of asking prices or current bids. You can scroll up and down those listings, but I've copied a representative screenshot from today, showing those kinds of props that sold in the $100 to $200 range, which is in the general range of what I'd expect yours to sell for.
              Attached Files

Comment

I stopped by the house tonight. My brother remembers Dad saying that his brother spliced a bit into a damaged area. The splice job was very good matching the finish of the rest of the prop indicating that "Uncle Bob" refinished the hold thing.

Good catch Dave! The numbers seem to line up with Gardner #1487! What were these flown on?

Only $200! Air worthy, what would it be worth?

Comment

It can't be airworthy even if it's in perfect condition because its type certificate has expired. An airworthy prop for a similar application is probably worth around $900 to $1000. A new prop would cost about $1500, and they are still manufactured for many models.

Comment

Dad's prop

I bought the prop from the estate for $320. Evidently my sister took an interest out of nowhere.

It is now hanging in our party room, quite nicely over a bay window. I get a lot of questions about what it might have been used on. Any help?

Considering Uncle Bob refinished it around 1940, what harm is there in it that I might give it another going over?

Comment

The "value" of an old wooden prop is often in the eyes of the owner. I have several old wooden props, with decals, and am fairly sure what each was used on. I am not the serious collector that is concerned about a lot of serious collector details, I love and admire my prop collection for their beauty to me.
                      I feel you have joined me in having a beautiful prop to display and admire as you see fit. Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                      X