Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE5a Wolseley Viper prop batch date

Hi,
    Im trying to confirm the date of manufacture from the batch number G177N. (No 52) If anyone has any information it would be really appreciated. Thanks. Other markings are:
    Wolseley Viper, AB 662
    D2400 P1750

Hi there,

The details of your prop are very similar to mine. Bob and Dave have previously confirmed my prop was one of a mixed batch (G1433) made in 1919, so presumably yours being from batch G177 would be dated earlier than mine. I’m sure there are far more knowledgeable people on the forum than I am that will be able to confirm the exact date as well as any additional data.

My prop’s details are:

G1433N54, AB 662 G.R.H., WOLSELEY VIPER, HISPANO SUIZA, D 2400 P 1750

Comment

Sadly, Bob Gardner never shared his knowledge of G/N numbers and production dates, although he has responded here with several examples. I don't think he has published them in his extensive volumes on British wooden propellers either, but I'll check to see.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I recall seeing something online years ago that may have placed it in 1918. Sadly I didn't save the information and can't find it again. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Bob Gardner has posted here several times over his many years with dates for specific G/N numbers. If someone's looking for a rainy day project it would be great to go through all of his past responses to harvest any date ranges he did identify and post those as a general reference. It's a good bet that they will end up being clustered somewhere in the 1917 to early 1920's range is my best guess.

I have all of his published volumes on British wooden propellers, but dating of specific examples isn't common in those.

Comment

Bob Gardner kindly identified a propeller for me a few years ago with Batch number G1270, and stated that it was from late 1918, if that helps.

Comment

Working...
            X