id on square ended propeller please or advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• id on square ended propeller please or advice

Hello i know i need to take better pictures..there are 8 little holes but i wonder if any one could tell me an idea based on the shape the ends seem very squared a.jpg b.jpg
    Attached Files

4c662471-1429-41c8-b2f0-271508627136.JPG

Comment

The ends have almost certainly been cut off (not an uncommon situation when prop tips are damaged) and it is virtually impossible to identify it without stamped drawing numbers or other identifying information stamped on the hub.

Comment

Thank you for getting back to me..very kind of you to give your time
        Matthew

Comment

You're welcome. By the way if you're interested, you might be able to correlate it with a engine possibility by going to this page then carefully measuring the hub dimensions and refering to the chart linked on that page. My general impression is that it's a WW1 era prop, although even matching the hub dimension doesn't provide positive proof, but it does tell you that it's NOT one of the other listed ones.

Comment

IMG_6658.JPG IMG_6660.JPG IMG_6659.JPG IMG_6663.JPG IMG_6661.JPG IMG_6664.JPG

Comment

i shall go on the site your recommended thank you for helping me ive taken a few better pics

Comment

ive been measuring some measurements check out guess its inches but the width doesnt

Comment

What width do you mean? The wooden hub width can vary. You're measuring the dimensions of the metal hub, which is standard for the engine used. The critical measures are those on the "bolt hole circle", described in the link above. Those dimensions plus the bolt size provide a lot of information to at least exclude those engines that don't match.

Comment

Hello
                    ive been busy with my wifes tape measure hub diameter 7.3 centre bore approx 2.75 bolt size approx .44 bolt circle 5.9 the only thing that is different from the Hispano Suiza is the hub thickness which is about 3.5 the hub is not very thick at all

Comment

HI,

The hub thickness and the fact that there is only three laminations could be the clue that your prop is the remnant of one of the two propellers stacked to form a 4-bladed one.

Regards,
                      PM

Comment

thank you so much i didnt realize they stacked them

Comment

Hi,

Both systems did exist: one piece or stacked. In England, there was many 4-bladed props during WW1, and very few in France. In England, many of the 4-bladed were one piece construction, probably very difficult to make... and to transport! Post war, some people in France tried 4-bladed, many of them stacked. There was even French 4-bladed props which were not at right angle! Probably an interesting theory behind this...

ProbableFarmanJabiru.jpg

Comment

gosh what a super pic i didnt realize
                            Thank you

Comment

Working...
                            X