Question from a Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question from a Member

(Note: This post is via email from a member who is having trouble with the software, which I can't seem to fix. Thumbnails can be enlarged.)

Hi all newbie to the forum so go easy please! - just purchased a propellor at auction which I think is supposedly from a WW1 FE8 fighter plane
    I haven't got access to the boss part of the propellor yet to try and establish marks/ ID numbers, etc( if any) as it has a wooden block attached to it( possibly a previous mounting block). It's in reasonable shape as the lamination are seperating in places but could be reglued back together I suppose, any advice on this or general restoration / conservation. Secondly, is there any way it could be a reproduction even though the amount of work to manufacture it seems to be extraordinary. Any advice at all or if anyone lives near and would like to see it in the flesh to assess condition much appreciated( I live in Lake district national park nr Penrith) Thanks, Ian

Screenshot_20240105_172730_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20240105_172744_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20240105_172737_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20240105_172714_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

That looks genuine to me; as you say, it would require an inordinate amount of work to fake patina of that sort.
    As regards its identity and application, I can’t see anything that is inconsistent with the F.E.8 propeller pictured but there should be some stamped information on the hub which would confirm this.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

There little or no doubt in my mind that it's original. Note the cracking at the hub. That occurs where wood grains are glued perpendicular to the adjacent blade, a feature of 4-blade construction. Since the wood expands and contracts across the grain but not along the grain, that gradually results in differential shrinkage, which becomes very evident over time. It would take a massive effort to reduplicate that over a short period of time.

I would not recommend attempting to re-glue the laminations together. It's likely to fail but make a mess in the process. Nor would I try to refinish the surface, but I would consider just applying high quality shellac to the surface as it is, the argument that it can be removed with alcohol if there is ever a need to do so, which is unlikely.

I agree that the stamped numbers are critical to establish usage and there are dozens and dozens of different models that look the same, even with four-blades.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the comments, interesting re not trying to reattach each of the lamination. Where would I purchase shellac, is it readily available or do I need a certain type?
        Im in the middle of a house renovation so not sure when I ll be in a position to remove the "mounting plate" from the boss to hopefully reveal some marks but any other help in the interim re renovation, etc much appreciated

Comment

As an avid woodworker for many years I've developed a fondness for shellac instead of urethanes and other finishes. For something that just hangs as a display it has great functionality and is non-toxic and easy to remove or repair. I get flakes from shellac.net and mix them in alcohol, which can take a few days for it to dissolve.

Comment

Thanks David, complete novice at this - I've looked on the site you have kindly referenced and there appears to be several types of shellac, which one is best to use and also what type of alcohol to mix it with
            Many thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X