Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left Hand Chauviere identification help please ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Hand Chauviere identification help please ???

Hi all :
    I have come into possession of this propeller. It appears to be a Chauviere (going by the shape)?. The diameter is close enough to 250 cm. The markings on the hub are difficult to read.
    The strange thing is that this is a left hand propeller?????
    Can anyone with some degree of certainty determine what the propeller was used for ? Le Rhone engine in PUSHER configuration maybe ?
    Is there any way of making the markings more readable without ruining the prop ? The varnish has “crocodiled”(if that is the proper term for it) ?
    there also seems to be a vague stamping of the the number 226 or something on the flange face.
    Any help is appreciated, since this isa LH propeller as far as I can tell? This must be quite rare ? Any idea of the value , being LH ?
    Many thanks for any help /clarification/info/data from the knowledgeable folks on this forum!!
    woody
    How do I post several pictures on this forum please ????
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Pics part 2. Left Hand Chauviere
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

More pics of the LH Chauviere .
      Any help as to identification, how to make the numbers more visible, and the value of this propeller are more than welcome !!

Best wishes for the New Year to all !!
      Woody

Comment

Hi,

From your pics, I read the markings as:
        - Side 1: NUMERO 14831 (or 14031?) / SERIE 2206 [Prop number and serial number]
        - Side 2: DIAMETRE 250 / PAS 1?0 (probably 130) [Diameter and pitch]
        - Flat side 1 ! 220 (or 226?) I don't know what is this number for on Chauviere props.
        - Flat side 2 : nothing

It is a French made Chauviere, left handed, as you told. Probably a pusher, but not certain.

This kind of markings on French made propellers, with diameter and pitch but no aircraft nor engine, was in use before 1915.

The Chauviere serial 2206 is not included in props tables of the 1910's I know about.

There is no airworthy stamp, so it was not approved for military use. And there is no control stamps, so it was not made for military purpose. As no civil props were made in France after the beginning of WW1, it was probably made in 1914, for civil use, but it will be not possible to know for which aircraft nor for which engine. A diameter of 250 cm is a very common one in the 1910's for engine between 45 and 100 HP. The pitch (if 130 cm) is very low.

Regards,
        PM

Comment

Nice looking prop appearing to be in its original condition. It's very hard to determine a specific value without knowing its usage and with little or no comparable sales for reference. Unfortunately, if PM doesn't know what it was used on, I don't think anyone else will either.

Comment

Working...
          X