help to identifying this propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help to identifying this propeller?

Wondering if I could get some help in identifying this propeller?
    Here original photo of the same propeller - Taken around 1915 - 1920 - from the old Maskinfabrikken Nielsen and Winther established in 1916 an airplane department, which in 1917 delivered 6 planes to the Danish defence. The first aircraft was put into service in January 1917. 3 of the aircraft were lost as a result of accidents, which is why the remaining aircraft were banned from flying. Today, one of them can be found at Denmark's Technical Museum in Helsing?r.
    Last edited by Maltola; 11-28-2023, 10:32 AM.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

There's not much to go on, and the stampings aren't typical of most WW1 props, although the design appears to be. I suspect that it's 2500 mm from tip to tip ("Diameter") and that the "S" refers to pitch in a non-English language of 1700 mm. The "N.27." is probably just a production.

It's a beautiful shape, and you may be able to narrow down an engine by careful measurement of the hub dimensions. See this link and the table linked to that page.

Comment

Hi,

"S" probably for "Step", thus a German, a Dutch or other country in North or Eastern Europe. Just my two cents...

I don't see any bolt hole, so probably a not finished prop, and then to guess an engine will be difficult or impossible... Some props in the 20'ans 30's have "bolt holes" only one one side of the hub, but I think it is incompatible with the shape which looks "ancient".

Regards,
        PM

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

This is a nice factory photo, but I think you would need more correlation to establish that yours is the same model as what you see in that photograph. I guess it's possible, but not certain in my opinion.

Comment

It is my grandfather in the middle of the picture - he was a foreman at the aircraft factory in Copenhagen - the propeller is his

Comment

Working...
              X