Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential early wooden Curtiss ID help

Hi enthusiasts,

I purchased this prop about ten years ago on eBay from a guy in New York City. He represented it as early 1910s and perhaps from a sea plane.

The markings are as follows:
    DRAWING # EX 9633
    D – 8’ 0” – P – 4’ 10”
    CURTISS PROPELLER
    MAHOGANY

And indeed it is 8’ long. My inexact measuring tape measurements of the 8-bolt hub are:
    Center bore hole 3”
    Bolt hole 5/8”
    Bolt hole circle 7 ?”

I love it. The value is not important to me but for reference I paid $2,000 at the time. I’ve done my best due diligence on this excellent site but am still coming up short on identification. Please share any thoughts or hunches you may have, and any suggestions for further research.

Also, if real, do you suspect that this was used? I have not cleaned or altered in any way, and never would.

See photo gallery for all hi res pictures.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/59u9W6cezkqA67WJ8

Thank you.

Best,
    Mark
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Generally the "EX" prefix on the model number indicates an experimental design,, and often those were built in groups for testing but not all of them used for that. It doesn't appear to have ever been mounted (no "witness marks" on the hub) but I believe it is "real" in the sense that it was manufactured by Curtiss motors and probably done somewhere in the teens or early twenties. I doubt that it was pre-WW1, however.

The dark color of the stamped numbers is not typical and may have been done after it was manufactured.

I think it will be hard to identify it. I would start by checking this page and then carefully measure the hub dimensions and compare them to the linked chart. A match doesn't guarantee that it was made for that engine, but a mis-match rules that engine out entirely.

Finally, I once owned a Curtiss Oriole propeller that had a very similar shape and size, and was also made by Curtiss. When I get home I'll see if I can find some old photos of it.

Comment

Appreciate the input, very helpful.

Comment

Working...
      X