4 blade WW1 BE2C Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 blade WW1 BE2C Propeller

4107130d-d2ca-42db-9d6a-210a7a86f750.jpegHello, hoping you can help us solve a mystery! We have this propeller strapped to the ceiling of an old rectory in County Limerick, Ireland. We would love to know more about it, and ideally how it ended up here!

It's decal reads Wolseley Motors, Birmingham - Vickers. The numbers imprinted around the centre read: BE2C D2769mm P2835mm T7448-RAF1a - 100 hp (h & p run together) then written on one point off the centre D No 2204.

Some photos attached. Would love any info' this forum has to offer!

Thanks in advance, Kate & Richard...
    Attached Files

BE2C - manufactured for this aircraft
    D2769mm P2835mm - Diameter and Pitch in millimeters
    T7448 - "Drawing number", i.e. the blueprint number used to manufacture it. The "T" is the designation for the Royal Aircraft Company
    RAF1a - 100 hp - The engine model and horsepower
    No. 2204 - a production number (Later these were grouped as "G" and "N" numbers referring to groups and numbers within that group

Although it's an RAF design, other manufacturers were licensed to produce them, in this case Wolseley Motors. It's obviously original, as there is clear evidence of shrinkage in the hub where layers of wood planks were glued together. When that happens and the wood grains are perpendicular to the next later, the shrinkage along the grain is greater than across the grain so gaps develop on the visible edges.

Although it's nice to think that information is available about its history, that is rarely if ever the case. Propellers were like tires - manufactured in large numbers and replaced often when used. Besides, this hub shows no sign of "witness marks" which are impression in the wood from the metal hub when mounted, especially with moisture changes during use, so I think this was a spare that became obsolete after WW1. Once they became obsolete they were nearly worthless at the time and often were given to employees of the company of otherwise disposed of, some just discarded.

If you're not aware of this, its value is largely in its original condition. There are usually temptations to "restore" them, but that invariably cuts the value to less than half its value in original condition, probably more than that when there are intact decals. You absolutely should leave it in its present condition. If you are contemplating selling it, please let me know and I can put you in touch with a person (international airline pilot who recently began collecting them) who can pick it up in person and pay for it in cash.

Comment

Thank you so much for the information. Much appreciated, it is a fascinating thing! We will heed your advice re: 'restoration'! We probably wouldn't sell, but any advice or guidance you might have on insurance value would be much appreciated.

Comment

The problem with "insurance value" is that in a loss, the insurance company often does what it wants to, because there is no standard appraisal service for these, and there is a LOT of variation in values. My recommendation is, if they want you to list a value, is to insure it for $3,000. They might enlist their own "experts" to reduce that, but if that were to happen I can probably join other members here to challenge that.

Comment

Amazing thank you so much for your time and expertise - really appreciate the responses.

All the very best, Kate & Richard

Comment

BTW, someone did a nice job of mounting that, presuming that the native hub is fully intact beneath the hardware. (A lot of beautiful props were ruined by putting clocks and other devices in the hub.)

Comment

Yes it's fully intact under there. Only wish we knew how it got in the house (we presume one of the big sash windows was removed) and how it ended up on the ceiling!

Interestingly, this one is from just up the road! https://www.museum.ie/en-IE/Collecti...a-3a5c2c93f1dc

Comment

Originally posted by OldRectory View Post
                Yes it's fully intact under there. Only wish we knew how it got in the house (we presume one of the big sash windows was removed) and how it ended up on the ceiling!

Interestingly, this one is from just up the road! https://www.museum.ie/en-IE/Collecti...a-3a5c2c93f1dc
                I've owned several. They all fit easily through a regular door. Even though it may be a diameter of over eight feet, imagine getting an eight foot propeller through a door by holding it vertically. It wouldn't go. But then imagine tilting it to 45 degrees to the floor. It would have plenty of clearance. A four bladed prop is really two of those held on a 45 degree angle in opposite directions, so they BOTH pass easily through the door.

Comment

According to this article: https://landscapesofrevolution.com/2...e-co-limerick/
                  The Kilfinane propeller came from a Bristol Fighter.

Comment

Working...
                  X