DARRACQ motor ENG Co LTD LONDON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DARRACQ motor ENG Co LTD LONDON

Hi, I just bought and collected today this rather nice example which was donated by the Royal Air Force Careers Office in Nottingham to a gentleman called George Bennett according to the brass plate that came with it. I bought it from his son

From the marking on the hub, I presume that this was built for the Airco DH.5 but would be very grateful with any information you may have. Thank you
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

It certainly looks that way. Most British props were stamped with drawing numbers and/or engine type and/or make and model, but yours being stamped DE H5 is pretty specific.

When I see screws in a wooden plate like that I always wonder if the hub once housed a clock or similar device and then got removed and recovered with wood. The prop certainly looks have been refinished, perhaps also removing fabric from the tips.

There were quite a few different manufacturers making props for the same aircraft models.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I am hoping that hub had not been touched on that one and was wondering about those brass screws. They looked to me very old, the sort that you would see on antique furniture. Among all the propellers you owned you have never come across a hub like that ?

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I don't recall ever seeing factory installed screws on the boss. The elevated boss is not uncommon, but I've only seen it glued in place. I'm not quite sure what's going on with the brass or bronze looking plate with the center hole either. Can you measure the diameter of the bolt holes? They look large to me for a LeRhone engine.

Some of these props were "restored" many, many years ago so even the restoration can appear old, and often does.

Comment

Working...
          X