Looking for missing blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for missing blade

Hi There. I have just acquired 3 blades of a wooden propeller. I have been told it's off a BE2. (any more info would be appreciated) The code on the prop is D2769 511BE2C P2835
    T.7448.9.0.HP.R.A. Any ideas where I might be able to source the final part please ? Cheers Mark

I'm presuming that this is a variable pitch propeller. But the Royal Aircraft Factory BE2 existed prior to those. Can you post a photo of what you do have?

Comment

I quick search turned up a reply by Bob Gardner, to an enquiry on this forum some years ago:
      T7448; A prop designed by the Royal Aircraft Factory. It was the standard prop for the BE2C, D and E from 1915 to 1918.”
      Not a variable pitch propeller then; presumably this one has had a blade broken, or cut off.
      I have seen single blades of that era turn up on eBay from time to time, usually attached to their hub (and usually with a completely unrealistic price tag, sad to say).

Comment

I wondered about that but the other numbers in sequence (T.7448.9.0.HP.R.A. ) are a mystery, and I wouldn't particularly expect to see those tagged to a WW1 era propeller drawing number. If those numbers are all separate (e.g. "T 7448", "90HP" and "RA") that might make sense.

As an aside, if this is a four blade integral propeller that's missing a blade from a crash, it would make a nice display piece as is.

Comment

It’s tricky without seeing a photo; who knows what might have been added or erased however I would be willing to bet that the lettering was originally intended to read: T.7448 90hp RAF, i.e. the drawing number and the engine type, which is applicable to the BE2c.

Comment

Thanks for the information so far. I have included some pics if that helps clarify.
            Attached Files

Comment

Well, that's a bit of a surprise, but it explains a lot. It was almost certainly cut into segments to transport it. Four-bladed props are not easy to ship or even transport by car, and when they were cut like that they weren't worth much. I've seen four-bladed props where two blades were removed and the hub was planed and sanded down to make it look like a two-blade.

Unfortunately, I think finding the other blade is a very long shot at best . . .

Comment

I found it, it's in The Wings Bar, Exmouth, Devon.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Wow! I thought that would be impossible.

Congratulations!

Comment

I know, I was having a cider at a wake and the place is a sort of RAF club so there were a few propeller bits and pieces on the wall. I couldn't believe my eyes!

Comment

Working...
                    X