Help IDing Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help IDing Prop

I have a Matthews Brothers (stamped on the propeller) with a Hamilton decal on the propeller. The information on the propeller is: NO. 1687, 8'8", LP 401 E, HS-1. Any info would be welcome.

The "L.P. 401" refers to "Lang Propeller" and a drawing number of 401. The diamond shaped blades are typical of Lang designs. "HS-1" refers to the Curtiss flying boat HS. , an early version with a Curtiss engine which was later improved as HS-2 and HS 2L, which used a Liberty engine.

See this page for some more information on Matthews Brothers, where Tom Hamilton was the manager at that time. I no longer have that propeller.

Can you post some photos of yours?

Comment

More pics
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that is two of the blades that were stacked one behind the other to make a four-bladed prop. It would have been the trailing portion of the double two-blade stacking arrangement since the cut in the hub is on the forward curved face.

Comment

Is there any way to track down the aircraft it came from with the info on the propeller? I know it is an HS-1 but which one? Where was it stationed, etc.

Comment

Practically a near zero chance of that happening. In fact the overwhelming odds are that it was never mounted on an aircraft and was sold off as surplus in the 1920s along with thousands of similar props that had quickly become obsolete after massive production in the late teens.

If it had been mounted you could expect to see "witness marks" from the metal hub plate mounted on the rear of yours. They are caused by compression of the wood between the metal plates held tightly together by the bolts connecting them. See below.

LVG hubface.jpg

Comment

yea mine does not have the "witness marks". It does have a stamp on it, would you know what it is?
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X