Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying

Hello all,
    new here so I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask but I was just given a propeller and I haven’t really examined it yet. It’s roughly 103” long the center hub is 13 1/4” wide and 5” thick. It looks to be one piec of wood. I’m just getting started with this and fully understand that I may never figure out the origin of it. There’s a few photos to see so let me know what you think.
    thanks again…
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

There should be numbers stamped on it which will help with identification but I can tell you with pretty high confidence that it will turn out to be half of a 4-blade prop for a Liberty engine and most likely designed for use for one of the Navy flying boats developed in the late teens and early twenties. I think I see evidence of a notch on the rear of the hub that allows it to interlock with another notched blade behind it, and the hub size just appears to be consistent with a Liberty engine, plus it's about the right diameter to fit the category as well.

Comment

Thank you for the help and kudos to your trained eye in seeing the notch on the back. I’d like to connect with someone who needs this to complete theirs. It is stamped USN and other numbers.
      regards,
      Lou D.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.
      Last edited by mosquito; 06-17-2023, 03:33 PM.

Comment

There were a LOT of them manufactured by a number of different manufacturers but they all became obsolete and most were sold off as surplus in the 1920s. I once saw a matched pair (consecutive serial numbers) offered on eBay and wish now that I had bought them, but sadly they sold separately.

It might be possible to find one that would fit together, but they likely will have aged differently.

Comment

Working...
        X