Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110 Clerget Prop

Hi there,

I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this propeller.

I recently came across it in a collection of a few propellers (Airspeed Oxford, Tiger Moth and a Vincent cut down to the boss). The odd thing is the location, New Zealand, so limited aircraft this could have come from (unless imported as a curiosity).
    I understand it is a Lang prop and the DRG No is Sopwith Pup or possibly 1 1/2 strutter, however, there were several Avro 504K in NZ around this time.

It's not in great shape but will still look great as a wall hanger.

Boss side 1

​​​DRG No LP710c
    RH 110 CLERGET
    G 4028 N 26
    MAY / 24

Boss side 2

D 2740
    P 2360
    G 4028 N 26
    MAY / 24

I know it's usually not the done thing to clean a propeller up but would like to remove the paint damage possibly. I was thinking as it isn't in great condition it may not be to much to at least clean it up a little.

Thoughts? What is best to do?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by DragonflyDH90; 04-14-2023, 11:21 PM.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

It could have been intended for use on several aircraft as you suggest. The "LP" is for Lang Propeller, which is very consistent with its design. Note that there are two LP 710C models listed but one is for the Gnome engine. Another observation is that the pitch on yours of 2360 mm is higher than those listed, and the stamping of "May 24" certainly suggests that it was produced after WW1, quite possibly with development of non-military applications.

clipboard.jpg

With respect to cleaning, etc. I would heed Bob Gardner's longstanding advice to use a gentle soap and water solution followed by a high quality beeswax. Part of its charm is the effects of aging naturally for the past 100 years.

Comment

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

Due to its location in New Zealand, and being post WWI, I am heading towards it likely being from one of the Avro 504K's around that were used well after 1918. I do have a picture with very similar blade profile shown, so there is some pictorial evidence of potential use of this style of prop.

Thanks also for the advice on cleaning, maintaining the natural aging would be something I would prefer too. However, there is some paint spilt on the prop, which looks terrible, and I was hoping to at least remove that.
        I will start with a little soap and water and see how it goes.

Comment

You might test a little bit of latex paint remover on the spilled paint. I'm guessing that if it's latex paint that the remover might preserve the underlying topcoat. If, when all is said and done and you want to make it look better, I think shellac is the varnish of choice since it can be removed with alcohol.

Comment

Working...
          X