Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair and clean-up WW1 Hamilton

Hello all,

I'd like to inquire about suggestions for how to and whom to do the work on repairing a nick on the trailing edge of a propeller that's been in my family a very long time.

My understanding it's from circa 1915 and off of a Curtiss float plane.

I'd really like to clean it up and get to new looking as possible for display.

Does anyone have a better, clearer, image of the Hamilton Decal?

I did read where "restoring" or "refinishing" might not be the best for re-sale etc. that is not in the plans for this big prop. It'll stay in the family...

Thanks for any input and suggestions...

Abe
    IMG_5071.jpegIMG_5073.jpegIMG_5072.jpegIMG_5069.jpegIMG_5075.jpegIMG_5070.jpeg

I would still leave it alone as a display propeller. It will never be airworthy and there's nothing for it to be airworthy on anyway. If it's been in the family I always advise people to keep it there but somewhere down the line its owner might not have an interest in keeping it, in which case it's much better to have it remain in original condition even with wear and tear and what I'd consider minor damage to the fragile trailing edge. It looks like a surplus item that was never actually mounted on an aircraft.

I no longer have this propeller, but it has "Hamilton" decals (which are actually Matthews Brothers decals with Hamilton's name on them). They're thumbnails which can be enlarged and I probably have some even bigger files sizes of them.

It looks like a prop that would fit a Liberty engine. Are there any numbers or other information stamped on the hub?

Comment

No other numbers.

closer of the numbers next to the hub.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
        I would still leave it alone as a display propeller. It will never be airworthy and there's nothing for it to be airworthy on anyway. If it's been in the family I always advise people to keep it there but somewhere down the line its owner might not have an interest in keeping it, in which case it's much better to have it remain in original condition even with wear and tear and what I'd consider minor damage to the fragile trailing edge. It looks like a surplus item that was never actually mounted on an aircraft.

What's your reasoning behind leaving the propeller as is vs fixing it up?

There really is no market for these, some specialty interest such as this site, but very limited. Like most everything in the specialty market, items are only worth what someone else will pay for it...

I don't follow why an original, in less nice condition, would be more valuable than a restored, visibly nicer looking propeller for display only purposes...

I do appreciate the reply and insight!

Abe

Comment

Nice. That's all the more reason to leave it in its present condition. It was made for the Felixstowe F 5 L seaplane for the Navy. The "SE" prefix in the model number refers to the "Steam Engineering" division of the Navy, which was responsible for the procurement of propellers for the Navy, which was very active in developing a fleet of flying boats.

Despite the noble intention, you just can't improve on its value (not necessarily monetary) as a collectible and a display piece.

Comment

What type of wood was used? and do you know the care standards used back then to care for these? The Navy never does anything without a procedure written down...

ex. use xxx type of oil or sealer to maintain the strength and condition of the propeller or to clean the propeller.

Abe

Comment

Originally posted by jeeterf15 View Post

What's your reasoning behind leaving the propeller as is vs fixing it up?

There really is no market for these, some specialty interest such as this site, but very limited. Like most everything in the specialty market, items are only worth what someone else will pay for it...

I don't follow why an original, in less nice condition, would be more valuable than a restored, visibly nicer looking propeller for display only purposes...

I do appreciate the reply and insight!

Abe
              Sorry, I wrote my earlier response as you were writing yours . . .

Actually, there IS a market for these, especially in original condition. Just search eBay for "wooden propeller" (singular) and you'll see ridiculous asking prices, but some do reflect perceived value of the item, mostly based on prior sales of originals. You also should think of future value with respect to items in the family estate.

The urge to "restore" it is one of the reasons that original ones are so valuable, i.e. rarity. It's probably now 100 years old, which makes it particularly rare, and it won't actually look any better with a shiny finish and reproduction decals. I've been collecting these for the past 40 years, but have really slowed down as I age, but if you want to find a buyer I can help you with that. As a collector (hobby only) I hate to see them destroyed . . .

Comment

Originally posted by jeeterf15 View Post
                What type of wood was used? and do you know the care standards used back then to care for these? The Navy never does anything without a procedure written down...

ex. use xxx type of oil or sealer to maintain the strength and condition of the propeller or to clean the propeller.

Abe
                It's most likely mahogany.

I don't know if the Navy had any kind of maintenance standards, but it's good question. But I do know that they looked at props as almost disposable, and there were manufacturers that promised production levels of 250 propellers per day, which is one of the reasons props like yours have survived. They were stored and then became obsolete due to development of faster, more powerful, and more reliable engines as well as metal and variable pitch propellers. I have owned or still own all of the propeller on this page as well as many that aren't listed. They all fall into a narrow band of aviation history from the teens to the twenties making them all over the 100 year "antique" threshold.

Bob Gardner, whom I consider one of the world's experts on WW1 era propellers, limited his recommendation to simply applying high quality beeswax as a means of preservation. That won't make it look much different but it will slow aging to some extent.

Comment

Thank you!

Great insight and information!

what’s the best way to display these? Should I find a post to fit the center hub snugly or support each end with a shelf like piece?

I’d like to minimize any further damage to the prop while also having a more permanent wall mounted display.

my plan for it is above bar, around 10 ft up on a high wall.

Abe

Comment

I use variations of this technique, which I've been modifying in small increments over many years. I was happy to just use dowels until someone mentioned their concern about earthquakes, so I added the little expansion slot and screw to hold it firmly against the wall. There is no modification needed on the hub itself, so it remains undamaged.

BTW, the safest way to store a propeller is exactly what you're planning to do. Hang it on a wall where it doesn't get moved. Most of these get damaged (like yours probably did) by moving them around and either bumping into something or allowing them to fall over onto something.

Comment

Working...
                    X