Curtiss SE 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtiss SE 5

My daughter is becoming an airline pilot and I would like to gift her a prop I bought years ago from a man who said it was off an old Curtiss airplane flown buy Doc Roberts in the movie Wings.
    I have tried to do some research on it so I can tell her what she is getting and try to not pass on any bs to her.
    It has a Curtiss emblem on it and is 7’11” long all wood with eight bolt hub. They markings are hard to photograph but appear to read plane SE 5, engine 180 HS , standing rpm 1670, part no 36945 and sc no (?) pt86662 p31811 with 711x6 below.
    I can’t find any Curtiss model SE 5 and would really appreciate any help identifying what I have here.
    Thank you in advance, Wally

Curtiss probably manufactured the propeller to use on the RAF SE5 aircraft. At the end of WW1 many of the European manufactured aircraft were shipped to the U.S. and used as trainers. I've attached a page from a McCook field circular from 1919, which lists that model number with the SE5.

Can you post a photo of the decal, and preferably one of the entire propeller?
    Attached Files

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

That's a very nice item. Make sure that your daughter doesn't try to "restore" it in any way. It's much more valuable in its present (original) condition, and it's almost certainly at least 100 years old.

Comment

Thank you. I could have never found that info

Comment

Working...
          X