Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help identify the use of this Anzani 49” prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help identify the use of this Anzani 49” prop?

Hi All, many years ago I inherited an Anzani prop turned into a clock display by my grandfather. I would really appreciate if anyone knows it’s original purpose.

It’s 49” in length and has the following markings:

DRG. NO. Z 3630/1
    ANZANI 1100cc
    L.H..P

D4.33 P2.17
    A.C. 59330
    OCT / 38

Many thanks All

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Those are typical British markings, but the blueprint number (Drawing number Z 3630) does not appear on this extensive list, Since the production year looks like 1938, when the Anzani engine was more or less obsolete for aircraft usage, my guess is that it might have been custom made for a reproduction aircraft using an old Anzani engine in a pusher configuration (based on the left hand, "LH", stamp). However, the small diameter of just over four feet seems too short for an airplane, so it's quite possible that it was used in some other capacity.

(I quickly scanned the long list linked above and couldn't didn't see any Anzani engine models listed. Apparently, the British Anzani company produced engines for some land based vehicles and other applications.)

Comment

Thank you for the swift and informative reply, it’s very much appreciated.

Comment

I am intrigued by this. Here’s an article that illustrates the engine for which the propeller was intended: http://www.britishanzani.co.uk/history3.htm

The low engine power suggests an ultralight and the marking LHP (Left Hand Pusher) narrows down the possibilities for the aircraft type.
        I couldn’t call to mind any pusher type ultralights of the correct era but page 2 of the article mentions one: Luton Buzzard.
        I think we have found a very likely candidate for the application of your propeller.
        Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks MtSkull for taking the time to research the prop and I’m glad you found it intriguing. I think you are more than likely correct but with no seeming surviving pics of the prop on the net it’s difficult to confirm with any degree of accuracy. I’ve found a few articles on the Buzzard but no specific dimensions for the prop used. Thanks again

Comment

You’re welcome. Alas, I have just noticed something that puts a big dent in the Luton Buzzard theory: The sole example was, according to Wikipedia, damaged beyond repair in May 1938, whereas your propeller is dated October 1938. It doesn’t completely rule out the Buzzard; there may well have been plans to rebuild it or build another example but, in the absence of definitive information it certainly adds an extra layer of uncertainty.

Comment

Working...
            X