Nieuport Clerget 110 Series 2 N 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi johnnym,

Ok ! The pics are far better and I will be able to compare the stamps and the letter U with the ones I have on some props. Just give me one or two days to look at this.

In the meantime, could you post a pic of the side with all the markings (just one very fine pic because the places where they are is also important) and one of the digit which could be a 3, a 5 or an 8 (opposite to 2 with respect to SFA stamps on the flat side). It is important because the first Eclair (serial 1) were made in March or April 1916 for the Caudron G3 fitted with a Le Rhone 80HP, then the serial 2 for Nieuport fitted with a Clerget 110 HP. Therefore it is possible your prop was made at the beginning of 1916, even if it has not the right length, but February seems not possible and March very surprising.

With a fine pic of the side with the markings, I will be able to compare the font with those used on first Eclair and at Levasseur factory. I have no use of a scale because the hub height has to be 150 mm (could you check?).

Regards,
    PM

Comment

PM and Dave, Thank you once again for all of your assistance!

I have placed Talcum powder in the stamps to make them a little more visible. I believe it we have the following stamps on the flat side of the hub:

2 U sFa U 3

The 3 now has become clearer.

The hub depth is 150mm.

As requested:

John

Comment

Hi,

Sorry to be late... And I have not found all the pics I am looking for: they probably are on a disc which I can retrieve only tomorrow or Sunday. For now, I can just tell that your prop was made on 2nd March but for the year it can be 1916 or 1917, probably 1916 because in 1917 the serial and prop numbers were stamped on one side and the codes for plane and engine on the opposite side... BUT I don't know the exact date when this "new" marking geometry was applied (I just know it is at the end of 1916 or the beginning of 1917 ( I never found the mandatory text).

The first known contract date for Eclair selling props to Military is 9/2/1916 (9th February) and was Caudron G3 props, probably the serial 1. Yours is a serial 2 and with a prop number 4, it has to be in the very first made EXCEPT if your prop was made by a subcontractor. So I have to look at some prop picture around 1915/1916 to be sure...

To be continued...

Regards,
        PM

Comment

Pierre-Michel never ceases to amaze me, as did Bob Gardner while he was able. Thanks, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
            Pierre-Michel never ceases to amaze me, as did Bob Gardner while he was able. Thanks, guys.
            Any news on Bob?

Comment

Originally posted by JR44 View Post

Any news on Bob?
              I got a communication almost a year ago that he was dealing with Alzheimer's disease, but I had no way to confirm its validity. I also have a friend that visited him on a trip to England and said that he looked frail and unwell. His website became inactive as all this was going on, so I'm afraid the situation doesn't look good. He's already been sorely missed, both as a friend as a superb contributor to the forum and the whole knowledge base of early wooden props. I'm fortunate to have all of his books in my library.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post

I got a communication almost a year ago that he was dealing with Alzheimer's disease, but I had no way to confirm its validity. I also have a friend that visited him on a trip to England and said that he looked frail and unwell. His website became inactive as all this was going on, so I'm afraid the situation doesn't look good. He's already been sorely missed, both as a friend as a superb contributor to the forum and the whole knowledge base of early wooden props. I'm fortunate to have all of his books in my library.
                Thanks Dave.
                That is sad news, my Dad has it, it's a cruel desease.

Comment

Working...
                X