• johnnym
    replied
    Additional photos:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...82dbff10_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...defcf89c_k.jpg

Leave a comment:

• johnnym
    replied
    There was some sort of cover plate one side. I have removed it and this looks to be the front of the prop. Here are the photos. There are 2 x Number 2's on the front along with the "sFa"stamp with a "U" next to it. There is also another #4.

On the opposite side of the hub with the markings there is only the "sFa" acceptance stamp with the "U". There are no other stamps.

I count a total of 3 "sFa" stamps with the "U". One on each side of the hub and one on the "front".

Could the number "4" be a serial #?

I am not exactly sure how to measure the prop but I went from the farthest tip to the other farthest tip. Picture of the measurement is attached.

I don't believe the screwed on "rear" metal plate was to cover a clock hole. Could it have been part of the hub assembly? The plate has been on there for a very long time. After removing the "front" wooden cover plate, the hub seems to be correct to me.

I have another question about the care of the prop. There are 2 places where the layers are starting to delaminate. The very tip and one of the leading edges. It is a very slight separation but I am afraid of it separating more. Is it acceptable for me to apply a small amount of carpenters wood glue under the lamination and clamp them down to let it dry?

Thank you for all your insight and info!

John

Leave a comment:

• pmdec
    replied
    Hi,

The markings don't use the "standard" geometry of props made by Eclair. It could be one made by a subcontractor or a very early one.

Is there any letter under "N 4"? Could you post a pic of the complete side already shown (don't use the flash)?

Could you post also a pic of the opposite side of the one with the markings? And a close-up of the SFA stamp?

Yes, there are some leeway about the length, but not so much. In my listing, the Eclair serial 2 is 2.53 meter (with the same pitch that Bahnson ones, 2.18 m). Normally, the length not differs by more than 1 cm from the filed one. In your curious units 2.53 meters are a little less than 8'3" 5/8 (if I didn't made error...).

Regards,
    PM

Leave a comment:

• Dbahnson
    replied
    I don't know what's going on with that hub. It looks like it may have been cut out for clock then filled with a metal plate when the clock was removed.

Leave a comment:

• johnnym
    replied
    As requested:

Leave a comment:

• Dbahnson
    replied
    My listings show that as an Eclair propeller (Serie 2) that was used on the Nieuport XII (not 17), the SPAD VII or a Sopwith A2 (Strutter), B2 (1 1/2 Strutter) . It lists a diameter or 2.5 m and a pitch of 2.18 m. The diameter of 2.5 meters computes to 8 feet 2.5 inches, but I believe that there was some manufacturing leeway allowed in the length.

The square stamp is the SFA (Societe Fabriques Aeronautique) inspection stamp.

Can you post a photo of the front side of the prop?

Leave a comment:

• johnnym
    started a topic Nieuport Clerget 110 Series 2 N 4

Nieuport Clerget 110 Series 2 N 4

Gentlemen.

My latest find. Marked as above with a square stamp with a letter inside that I cannot make out.

I was under the assumption this is a French made prop for a Nieuport 17 but it seems it could also be for a SPAD?

It measures 8'5".

Please let me know your thoughts.

John

Working...
X