Unknown Decal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Decal

The attached image shows a section of the blade of a propeller that fell to the ground in England in the early 20th century. It was incorporated into an item of furniture by my late grandfather. Does the decal represent a known manufacturer?
    Attached Files

It might be a Lang Propeller . I believe that there were several versions of the general layout. The linked one is for U.S. version, but Lang originated in Great Britain.

Comment

Thanks. I can see that there are many similarities in the layout. I will investigate further.

Comment

I'm not at my home at the moment, but when I get there I'll check in Bob Gardner's books, where I think it's likely there are other versions of Lang decals.

Comment

Most of the images of Lang propellers that I can find have the scroll with writing outside the shield. However, I did find this one and when placed next to the mystery decal, I would say that’s a positive identification.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtskull View Post
            Most of the images of Lang propellers that I can find have the scroll with writing outside the shield. However, I did find this one and when placed next to the mystery decal, I would say that’s a positive identification.
            Nice find!

Comment

Here are some on an auxiliary prop.
              This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Now, that is extremely interesting to me because I have a very similar auxiliary propeller and I have never seen another one like it until now.
                Any chance you could post some more photos showing the prop from the front and back showing the centre boss; also dimensions i.e. diameter, blade chord, boss diameter and boss depth please?

Comment

Here you go. The tape with the prop looked accurate when taking the photos but it obviously didn't work!
                  In the pic looking down on the closed side of the boss there is a 1 stamped, the pic isn't very clear.
                  I would be intrigued to hear your thoughts on this, I thought it unusual to have the decals on such a workaday prop.

Dia- 305mm
                  Chord (widest) - 45mm
                  Boss dia-52mm
                  Boss depth-41mm
                  Blade depth-36mm
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by JR44; 12-12-2022, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Thank you! The mystery endures; they are not the same. The dimensions of mine are:

Diameter 330mm
                    Chord 60mm
                    Hub Diameter 40mm

Additionally (and I should have spotted this before), mine has the opposite ‘thread’ to yours.

Whether or not it was usual for an auxiliary propeller to leave the factory with full decals is a question that I am not qualified to answer; it might be that your example was intended as a demonstration piece but that is pure speculation on my part.

Apologies to all; I appear to have somewhat hijacked this thread…

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                    X