Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated

Hiya guys i have been asked by a friend who has had this in storage for some time and he would like some help with identifying this Prop, the only thing he has been told but can't be confirmed is it is from around the first world war and french manufacture. any help with this is greatly appreciated apologies for the light in the pictures and the markings are quite faded and this is all we think we can make out:
    I P C
    DE. 70
    HP 100M GNOME
    D.E. SCOUT

8 18381
    D 9 50
    P 240
    many thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

I'd have to check some documents at home, but at this point my guess is that it is of British manufacture and was probably made for a DeHavilland Scout. I may have more information in a few days when I get back. The "IPC" is the Imperial Propeller Company".

This prop appears to have never been mounted on an aircraft and also appears to have been refinished at some point.

Comment

Hi,

Not French made (as Dave said, IPC = Imperial Propeller Company, that is Chauviere company in England).

I read some characters a little differently:

I.P.C.
      ??? 70 (this is the serial number)
      ?T [probably RT for right handed tractor] 100 M GNOME (100 HP Gnome Mono soupape [one valve] engine)
      DE H SCOUT (for De Haviland Scout a/c, asDave said)
      B 18381 (prop number, beginning by B as for all Chauviere made by IPC)
      D 2 50 (diameter 2.50 meters)
      P 2 1? (pitch, in meters).

Regards,
      PM

Comment

amazing guys thank you so much

Comment

I suspect that the term “scout” in this context refers to the role of the aircraft rather than the specific model.
          This propeller has a left hand thread; the 100hp Gnome Monosoupape rotates clockwise when viewed from behind, so the propeller must be for a pusher application.
          As far as I am aware, the only De Havilland design using a pusher configuration was the DH 2, which could certainly be described as a scout.
          Last edited by Mtskull; 07-24-2022, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X