Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop from Curtiss R-4?

Hi All

A friend has found in his late father's extensive collection of aviation artifacts a wooden propeller 9'6" marked 11612 which I believe closely matches the Curtiss R-4 prop in the webpage http://www.woodenpropeller.com/R4.html. Any confirmation or alternative suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated. He may be interested in selling it. If so, I will post again.

Thanks, in advance,
    John
    image2.jpeg
    image5.jpegimage3.jpegimage1.jpegimage4.jpeg
    Attached Files

Yes, it's pretty clearly identifiable, and it's the same model that's used on the Curtiss R9. They were manufactured in large quantities and many were sold off as surplus in the 1920s or so

Whether he offers it for sale or not, it should be kept in its present condition.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
      The owner's late father wrote on a piece of paper that it was used with an OX-5 engine. I can't seem to find any documentation that might confirm the use of this prop with the OX-5, only the Curtiss V-2 and V-2-3 engines. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by 2banaviator View Post
        Thanks for the info!
        The owner's late father wrote on a piece of paper that it was used with an OX-5 engine. I can't seem to find any documentation that might confirm the use of this prop with the OX-5, only the Curtiss V-2 and V-2-3 engines. Thoughts?
        No, I think it's the wrong size to fit an OX5 hub, which has a bolt hole circle diameter of 5 1/4". If you measure from the center of one hole to the center of the hole furthest away, that represents the bolt hole circle diameter. I think you'll find that your prop has a larger bolt hole circle. See attachment for model number reference.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X