Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nieuport hub clock help

Hello,
    I was gifted a WW1 propellor hub clock and it still retains all of the stamps and markings.
    So I have been able to trace it’s from a Nieuport XVII.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Does anyone know if there is a date stamping on the hubs and if propellor serial numbers can be traced to a particular engine then onto an aircraft?

The propellor hub clock also uses the LE Rh?ne engine spark plugs as feet.
    Its been in the family for a very long time along with other aviation bits.

In the past I have successfully traced WW2 vehicles on just engine numbers.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Back of clock
    Attached Files

Comment

The likelihood of ever tracing a propeller to a specific aircraft is extremely low, probably close to zero. Tracing it to an aircraft make and model is not always possible either, so you're ahead of the game in that respect. I can't read the numbers on your photo, but it's also unlikely that the date of manufacture can be determined unless it's stamped on the hub, which it usually isn't from that era. (The exception is British manufactured propellers which could be traced by the "G" and "N" numbers, but Bob Gardner is the only person I know who had a list of those dates, and he is no longer able to post here.)

Fortunately, your prop is at least associated with an "era", and with that era 100 years in the past, a few years' difference doesn't amount to much.

Comment

The spark plugs are an unusual touch. I have a collection of ww1 and early aviation plugs.

Comment

Thank you for your replies, It’s all appreciated.
          I haven’t seen spark plugs used as clock feet on this type of clock before.
          Don't think I have seen a WW1 era spark plug.......

Comment

Hi,

It is a from a French Levasseur propeller serial 484 used on more than one aircraft. The marking " L SFA (stamp) U" shows it has been made by Levasseur (there are Levasseur props made by other makers under license, but not this one). You have to post the fourth side of the hub (with a/c and engine markings) to perhaps know more.

Regards,
            PM

Comment

Thank you, Uploading the last picture now

Comment

Base of prop
                Attached Files

Comment

So, the prop was approved for one seat Nieuport 17 (marking NIE MONO XVII) using a 110 HP Le Rh?ne engine (marking 110 RH) and the prop has not been repaired for a new use (no SFA stamp on this side). Therefore, the prop has been made at the end of 1916 or the very beginning of 1917 : Levasseur props can be dated from their prop number (7017 for this one) because Levasseur incremented the prop number independently of the serial (but you have to be sure the prop was made by them and not repaired).
                  The 484 serial was also approved for Nieuport 23, Morane-Saulnier and later for Sopwith, all using "110" or "120" HP Le Rh?ne or "9Jby".

Regards,
                  PM

Comment

Thank you,
                    I am delighted about all of this data I can put together for the prop.
                    I wont be selling it on but I will be getting a painting of the aircraft it’s from and sitting it next to my Spitfire trim flap that was given to me by the chap who took it off the aircraft in 41.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott89 View Post
                      Thank you,
                      I am delighted about all of this data I can put together for the prop.
                      I wont be selling it on but I will be getting a painting of the aircraft it’s from and sitting it next to my Spitfire trim flap that was given to me by the chap who took it off the aircraft in 41.
                      Well, it's good that it found happy home, and thanks Pierre-Michel for filling in some of the details.

Comment

Working...
                      X