Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colored bands on Jaray/Aviatik propellers

Hello,

at the moment I'm doing a model of the Aviatik 30.40 in 1/48 with a real wooden propeller.
    For that I have a question for the colored bands, like on this picture:
    https://ibb.co/WgF719q

The logo seems to be Jaray, but what is the color of the bands? I guess red and white due to Austria? Any idea?

Thank you very much,
    Frank

I have no idea, but I can look through Bob Gardner's extensive book series to see if he has a photograph of one, but even then the colors change with age.

Comment

Thank you!
      Is there a book by Bob about the Austro-Hungarian props? I a owner of the 3 about German manufacturers, and some of the six Brit books, but those will not help here.

Comment

I think those are all of his books. You were wise to purchase them when you could.

Comment

Hi, I have about 30 original photos with Jaray propellers. Neither has a similar stripe.

Comment

Thanks for checking the photos!
            It was may be a marking for this unusual engine type. Austria started a production of powerful 160 h.p. 11 cylinders Le Rhone rotary engines in Steyr, but only around 150 was produced and used in some prototype planes like Aviatik 30.27 and 30.40. This power need a special propeller.
            I got more "educated guesses" by others for white and red too, so I painted the bands.

Attached two photos of my Aviatik 30.40 and the wooden propeller. The propeller will get a hub.

Cheers,
            Frank
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Some time ago during e-mail conversation with K. Mayrhofer he explained that white band painted on both blades (approximately 2/3 of propeller diameter) meant that propeller belonged to the aircraft factory. I suppose that such a propeller was used during factory tests and other propeller was installed before aircraft delivery. I don't know if this is correct answer in case of bughunter's question.

Comment

And additional information from K. Mayrhofer: the red bands indicate that the propeller is experimental i.e. during trials to find best propeller for particular engine. So, the white and red bands together indicate the experimental propeller which was in possession of Aviatik.

Comment

Thank you very much!
                  He helped me with this project so I should have asked him this question too. It makes totally sense, since this aircraft was only existing as prototype, with a new type of engine.

Comment

Working...
                  X