Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Identification please........

Hi
    thank you for allowing me to join..........i inherited this two bladed propeller, it was cut in two...........so i've re joined it, again sadly it had been sanded badly, but ive got it to a state i'm happy with.
    but, there are no markings on it apart from a '3' and a '2' nothing else.............so i'm presuming it was never fitted to an aeroplane type, but can anyone have a guess at its intended type ?
    its fairly large with a dia of 2910mm or 114" or 9'5" ish it has 9 bolt holes...............
    any indications would be much apreachated

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

It's impossible to identify without a drawing number, which presumably got removed with its "restoration".

The nine bolt holes are a little unusual so based on that fact, the length (2900 mm is approximately 114 inches), the general appearance of the hub, and the overall geometric shape I'd say it's at least possible that it matches this DH9 propeller. But don't take that as more than an educated guess.

(Since the stampings on the DH9 prop linked above are not very deep, and the prop is original with original decals, you might find that with a little turpentine and a magnifying glass you might find "ghosts" of the original markings especially if there are remnants of other stamped info there.)

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts, that's very interesting, I look at it in detail but I'm sure it has never been stamped

Comment

I have Polish propeller made for DH9. It must be a copy of original British propeller and the stamped length is 291 cm. The hub has 9 bolt holes and the engine stamped is Siddeley Puma 230 HP. Overall shape is very similar or even identical to Yours. Bolt circle diameter is approx. 170 - 172 mm

Comment

Thank you Sparrow
          i think that confirms its identity.......could you please post some photos of the stamping son yours ?
          thanks again to both of you

Comment

A bolt circle of 9 holes is certainly unusual. Can anybody think of an example other than the BHP/Siddeley Puma range of engines, never mind one that used the same bolt circle?

Accurate measurement of the bolt circle/hole sizes and comparison with Dave Bahnson’s example won’t positively identify the propeller as being from a DH9 but, IMHO, worth doing, as if they don’t match, then at least it would rule out the possibility.

Comment

yes, the bolt hole diameter is 170-172mm on mine also..........

Comment

Originally posted by dawnpatrol View Post
                Thank you for your thoughts, that's very interesting, I look at it in detail but I'm sure it has never been stamped
                Stamping was one of the final steps in the manufacturing process, and a certain number of props failed the final inspection and were sold off as surplus without being stamped. Yours might be one of those.

Comment

This is engine marking and propeller data stamped on the hub.
                  D - diameter in cm, S - pitch in cm, KM means HP.

oznacz.jpg

Comment

thank you Sparrow, i'm wondering why the 'KM' then ?

Comment

This is in Polish: KM = Koń Mechaniczny it means mechanical horse in English

Comment

Working...
                      X