My moth prop. Info required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My moth prop. Info required

I have been looking around for a tiger moth prop for a while now to put up on the wall of our 1930s house.
    I found this little gem recently but it would be great to know a little more about it.
    I think it could be a later moth prop late 30s early 40s from reading about on the forums.
    I read somewhere that because it's black with the yellow tips then this could be an old military prop.
    if anyone could shed any more light on the age and which aircraft this may have come from that would be fantastic.
    thanks in advance
    Shaun
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Typically, it's impossible to know of a specific aircraft (i.e. registration number) but it's clear that the make and model is a Tiger Moth by virtue of its drawing number, P5220 P/25. Manufacture dates were often stamped on the hub but evidently this one wasn't.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
      I wasn't sure if the 17830 was the date?

Comment

It's possible, I suppose. I think most British props I've seen are month/day/year, or often just month and year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
          Thanks for the info.
          I wasn't sure if the 17830 was the date?
          Unlikely, as the first Tiger Moth was built in 1931 and the first Gipsy Major engine in 1932.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtskull View Post
            Unlikely, as the first Tiger Moth was built in 1931 and the first Gipsy Major engine in 1932.
            Boom Boom!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info. Those numbers must just be some kind of serial number or something then.

Comment

Sincere apologies if my previous comment sounded like a “put down”. That was not my intention.

Comment

No not at all. It definitely didn't come across that way and im thankful for any info.
                  Do you know if the black painted props were a military standard?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                    Do you know if the black painted props were a military standard?
                    To my eye it looks more like a dark shellac finish than black paint as such. I have seen photos of many British propellers of that era with a similar finish but it would require greater knowledge than mine to say whether this was a military standard or simply down to the manufacturer.

Comment

When I was researching my Moth prop I read that the black with yellow tips was RAF and was introduced in the late thirties.

Comment

I just acquired an wooden 8 hole, 8.5 foot Marshall Prop 50. The serial numbers are 935453-50700 / B7H 1511. It has brass like sheeting on both tip and along the leading edges. According to some limited information I read, the taller props with 8 drill holes were designed for the earlier planes having less RPM motors. I'm interested in learning the type of aircraft it was fitted for, the age/era of use and where the Marshall props were made. This prop is in excellent condition.
                        There are no cracks. If there are value ranges for this item, I would be appreciated for that knowledge.
                        John Faires, Aurora, Colorado
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by John Faires View Post
                          I just acquired an wooden 8 hole, 8.5 foot Marshall Prop 50. The serial numbers are 935453-50700 / B7H 1511. It has brass like sheeting on both tip and along the leading edges. According to some limited information I read, the taller props with 8 drill holes were designed for the earlier planes having less RPM motors. I'm interested in learning the type of aircraft it was fitted for, the age/era of use and where the Marshall props were made. This prop is in excellent condition.
                          There are no cracks. If there are value ranges for this item, I would be appreciated for that knowledge.
                          John Faires, Aurora, Colorado
                          Start with this page and think of it as eliminating some engines. I'm guessing that it may have been for an OX5 engine but if so then the measurements should match.

Your prop has almost certainly been refinished, and that can effect value considerably. (It would likely still have decals if original.)

Comment

Working...
                          X