Help identifying an Eclair Type prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying an Eclair Type prop

I have been asked to help find out anything about a propeller. It has a decal on the blade for ‘The Integral Propeller Limited’.

And then the following markings on the hub.

DG 2390
    D 2 35
    P 1 65
    HP 150 H SUIZA
    ECLAIR TYPE
    B 26621

Thanks to this website I have deciphered most of it. 150hp Hispano Suiza engine. Diameter 2m35. Pitch 1m65.

B26621 looks like a serial number, and DG 2390 the drawing number.

The ECLAIR TYPE marking just confirms the shape is of an Eclair type?

What I cannot find is any mark that identifies the type of aircraft it was used on.

Anyone able to shed any light on this prop and what is would have been used on.

Thanks.

It's not typical of a French manufactured Eclair propeller, which typically would be stamped with "Serie" rather than "DG", and "Eclair Type" to my knowledge was never stamped on an Eclair propeller. The usual stamping is "Helice Eclair". The decal certainly suggests British manufacture.

Please post photos of the decal as well as the prop and its markings.

The only Eclair propeller with a diameter of 2.35m that I can find in my listings is "Serie 100" but it has a pitch of 1.75 rather than 1.65 and I can't find that Serie number to be associated with a specific make and model aircraft.

Comment

Thank you Dbahnson.

I'm thinking it is a British prop from the Integral Propeller Ltd decal, but the marking of ECLAIR TYPE is intriguing.

I am going to see the prop next week, so will get some photos of the decals and see if I can find any other markings.

Will post my findings here next week.

Comment

Last week I was able to see and get some photographs of the prop and have posted a couple here.

The prop has 2 decals for the Integral Propeller Company Ltd, with the signature of Chauviere inside, and the words BRITISH MADE underneath.

As well as the text markings listed in my first post, it also has the following numbers stamped on the reverse of the hub;

We have also found a group of 4 stamps on the prop that look like they are the A.I.D. inspection stamps. As well as what looks like some AID stamps on their own, that have been crossed out on the hub.

From reading around the forum and the website, from the dimensions my thoughts are it could be for an SE5 or Spad aeroplane. But did these aeroplanes ever have an Eclair Type propeller like this?

Thanks.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Working...
        X