Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prop G numbers ( SE5a and Nieuport Scout )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop G numbers ( SE5a and Nieuport Scout )

I have an SE5a 2 blader. Most of the inscriptions are self explanatory and appropriate. There is, however, a number that I don't understand - G281 No 26. Does anyone have any knowledge of what it refers to please. My Nieuport Scout prop also has G210 on it ( and something else unreadable ). Any clues?

Regards

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

The "G" and "N" numbers are production numbers - essentially serial numbers by "Group" and then the number within the group. They are stamped on most of the British made propellers that I've seen, although there are some exceptions. Bob Gardner, who posted here frequently until fairly recently, had some kind of list where he could use those numbers to s=deter the manufacture date to a narrow range. I need to look through his books to see if he left any clues on those date ranges. In the meantime you might be able to search through this forum to find some examples of his date determinations to get a range for yours.

Comment

Thank you Dbahnson. I presumed that the numbers refered to something like that but couldn't find any references.
      I will pick my way through the forum to see what I can find. I realise that Bob Gardner's books are, sadly,not particularly acessible.

Comment

Working...
      X