Help identifying long-time family propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying long-time family propeller

We never really thought much of the wooden propeller that has been in the family for at least 60 years, but upon looking at it today we were left wondering what aircraft it might have been made for and how old it might be. We were always told it's "Snoopy's Sopwith Camel Propeller," but we doubted it. We know that it was brought to the U.S. from England in the 1950s or 60s with some other British furniture following a USAF deployment.
    • The propeller is large, right at 100 in. OAL and not as heavy as one might think considering its size, maybe 25 lbs.
    • The propeller is almost exactly 6 in. in height, slightly less through the hub due to relief/counterbore.
    • The tips are painted 1 ft back from each end, possibly black.
    • A 1/2 in band of another color is just inside that/closer to the hub and possibly dark green.
    • The center hub area is also painted black on both sides.
    • It is made from what appears to be 6 laminated strips of some type of dark wood with a fine grain.
    • The center shaft dia is about 2.750, although a little out of round depending on where you measure.
    • One side of the hub is recessed by about 1/4 in and on a diameter of about 7.250 with a 1/8 radius in the corner. The other side of the hub is flush with the backside of the blades.
    • The 8, 3/8 inch bolt holes are close to 5.600 dia., =/- .050.
    • There appear to be two "witness" marks of mounting on the backside, but are more like 1/8 in. holes on a 5 in dia, on centerline with the central bore, but offset from the bolt circle by about 10 degrees.
    • Some type of stamp (Inspection?) is in a 4-grid block just 1 in from the mounting flange area.
    • The front of the propeller is marked on a diameter just beyond the mounting area with "G 432 NO 100"
    • That marking is repeated on one side of the propeller hub along with "9012".
    • The opposite side of the central hub is stamped with "100 HP MONOSOUPAPE D 2559 (possibly D 2550) P2640 DR P3012"

The grandkids are wondering if this really could be "Snoopy's propeller" and any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Here is the detail of the tip colors>
    Attached Files

Comment

It's a British manufactured prop for an aircraft using a 100 HP Gnome engine, almost certainly from the WW1 era. I'm not near my reference materials to see if I can narrow it down further, but it might have been applicable to more than one aircraft. It's in original condition and absolutely should be kept that way, i.e. don't try to "restore" it in any way. The "G" and "N" numbers are merely production numbers. The "D" and "P" numbers are its diameter and pitch. The "A.I.D." squares are inspectors stamps.

The key number is the "DR P3012" which is what I'll try to look up tomorrow. I don't recognize that as one of the drawing numbers for the Sopwith Camel, so I don't think it has anything to do with Snoopy, although the 100 HP Gnome engine was one of six engines that could have been used on a Camel.

A picture of the entire propeller with the camera looking straight down the center bore could be very helpful.

Comment

That drawing number, P3012, is listed as applicable to the Sopwith Scout and Pup, as well as the FK Bantam, but not the Camel.

Comment

I really appreciate that. We are on vacation now, but when we return home I will post the overall picture.

Comment

Originally posted by DFCain View Post
            I really appreciate that. We are on vacation now, but when we return home I will post the overall picture.
            Thanks. If it's a family heirloom I always suggest that you should keep it, but if you are looking to sell it I do have a friend who likely would be interested. You can PM me if so.

Comment

Working...
            X