Another SE5* Propellor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another SE5* Propellor

My maternal Grandfather, Robert Balmer, established Preston Ship Repairers, after serving his time with the Merchant Navy in Liverpool and was gifted this clock.

As a small kid and aircraft enthusiast, I always loved this, recognising it for what it was and it was left to me when he passed, as no-one else in the family wanted it!

It seems that when aircraft were scrapped, many props were salvaged and turned into clocks and barometers and so forth, whilst many were also donated to museums, although, given that there were so many, they weren't in much demand. Plus, with the end of the Great War, vast stocks of unused props suddenly became available, becoming utilised also as spares and employed with other suitable Hispano-Suiza engined aircraft..

I've since learned of the quality of the clockmaker and that the propellor hub is from a Royal Aircraft Factory SE5, or maybe an SE5a, (two distinctly different WWI aircraft). Now that I am settled in my new home, I can now begin to spend some time researching the history of this particular prop hub.

Any info would be much appreciated.

I've looked at previous, similar posts, and note that the assumption is that SE5 relates to the SE5a, however, before this mark, there was the earlier SE5, from which the more famous SE5a came. That said, I appreciate that '200 HP Hispano-Suiza' will likely refer to the engine, which was used by the improved SE5a, rather than the SE5.
    (The larger size prop was also used by the SE5a).

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...16248598633443

Thanks in advance...and what a fascinating Group.

Regards,
    Bruce

All of the hyperlinks to Facebook just return this:

Clipboard01.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
      All of the hyperlinks to Facebook just return this:

Clipboard01.jpg
      Sorry...I'll change the privacy settings.
      Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

You can also upload them here as attachments if you want to.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

The drawing number "T28096" is listed for just the SE5A with a geared Hisso engine, which is why it has a left hand thread.

It would be unusual to find any association with a specific aircraft unless it had been recorded by the original owner of the prop or somehow entered into an aircraft log that still exists, which is also unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
              The drawing number "T28096" is listed for just the SE5A with a geared Hisso engine, which is why it has a left hand thread.

It would be unusual to find any association with a specific aircraft unless it had been recorded by the original owner of the prop or somehow entered into an aircraft log that still exists, which is also unlikely.
              Understood and thank you.

Comment

An excellent boss, thank you very much for posting photos of it! I have (most of) a T28907/T28907-1 drawing, if that is of any interest to you, or any other members. I am not certain where I acquired it, but it was photocopied on about 15 A4 sheets, and one A3 sheet which shows the entire boss in rear and side elevations. I took it to a local plan printer. They offered to stitch it together using Photoshop or a very similar program. I purchased a copy of Photoshop, in order to be able to stitch it together digitally but I was unable to work out how to do it. In the end I pieced it back together the low tech way, using strips of backing paper and a roll on glue (not water based) which did not warp the paper too much. The plan printers then printed it at A0 size and it turned out well. Some areas such as the boss were doubled, or even tripled, and other areas such as the centres of the blade sections are missing. I will try to reconstruct the blade sections to the best of my ability, but some key measurements are missing.

Regards,

David.

Comment

Originally posted by Garuda View Post
                  An excellent boss, thank you very much for posting photos of it! I have (most of) a T28907/T28907-1 drawing, if that is of any interest to you, or any other members. I am not certain where I acquired it, but it was photocopied on about 15 A4 sheets, and one A3 sheet which shows the entire boss in rear and side elevations. I took it to a local plan printer. They offered to stitch it together using Photoshop or a very similar program. I purchased a copy of Photoshop, in order to be able to stitch it together digitally but I was unable to work out how to do it. In the end I pieced it back together the low tech way, using strips of backing paper and a roll on glue (not water based) which did not warp the paper too much. The plan printers then printed it at A0 size and it turned out well. Some areas such as the boss were doubled, or even tripled, and other areas such as the centres of the blade sections are missing. I will try to reconstruct the blade sections to the best of my ability, but some key measurements are missing.

Regards,

David.
                  You're very welcome and that would be interesting to see.

Comment

I took some photos of my reconstructed T28097 drawing today. Besides the fact that I had to reconstruct it, it has been printed on very thin paper so it has wrinkled quite badly. I will see if I can take some better photos of it tomorrow, in the direct sunlight. If anyone would like close up views of any particular detail, please let me know and I will photograph the details for you.
                    This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                      X