Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE5A or Sopwith Dolphin

Hi everybody

I recently acquired this propeller in France.
    According the previous owner,the propeller has been identified by PMD as coming from a Sopwith Dolphin.
    Propeller is in good condition with canvas still attached.
    Unfortunately 4 holes have been drilled in the propeller blades to be able to fix it to a wall.
    Strange is the name of " VIPER", misspelled as "VIPOR", but according previous treats this happend quite often in the past.

Here de hub detail:

G 944 N5
    AB 662 C RH
    D 2400 P 1750
    HISPANO SUIZA
    WOLSELEY VIPOR

the other side of the hub showing exactly the same details.

Also 4 AID stamps

Here my questions:

1: according the book of British propeller makers, I have from Bob Gardner,
    AB662 C with both engine types mentioned on the hub appearing to be
    from an SE5A. So, would it be from a SE5A, Dolphin or maybe Spad VII as well?

2: What is the meaning of the small arrow with letter A on top, right of
    the AID stamps? see picture.

3: I assume, batch G 944 dates mid 1918. Is this correct?

Thanks

best regards

Gino
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gino; 03-26-2013, 05:20 PM.

Hi Gino,

The C type of AB662 was used on the SE5, SE5A, Dolphin and SPAD.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob

Thank you for the reply.
      Any idea if batch G944 can be dated as mid 1918?

Best regards

Comment

Gino,

The short answer is that it dates from mid 1918.

The detailed answer is much longer. Dating a prop from its batch number (G) is only approximate. Some G nos can be dated, primarily Bristol made props, and this allows others to be dated. But, this might indicate when the order for a batch of props was placed. Some orders for props before the G nos came into use were open ended. One Bristol contract, placed in about 1914, I think, by the RNAS was still running two years later. It provided individual props direct to a RNAS airfield at a rate of a handful each year.

My guess is that these type of contracts ceased when the Air Board and the Ministry of Munitions took centralised control in late summer 1917. But the date a G number was placed, does not indicate when it was made nor when it was delivered. Even then, the batch, or a prop from the batch, might have gone to a depot and remained there some time before it was fitted to an aircraft.

But as none of this is ever likely to be discovered the short answer is the best I can do.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob

Thank you again.
          Do you also know the meaning of the letter A with the arrow on the right
          side of the AID stamps?

best regards

Gino

Comment

Hi, U bought a Sopwith Dolphin propeller for my hubby and I have found that it was manufactured in Bristol. And a bit of history on the plane. But I would like to know what type of wood they were made from please if anyone might know.

Comment

Most of the British props were made from mahogany, which was also the U.S. standard for military aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by gino View Post
                2: What is the meaning of the small arrow with letter A on top, right of
                the AID stamps? see picture.
                Hi Gino,

My understanding is that the A and broad arrow signifies aviation, although in the case of a propeller this is evident. I have seen the same mark applied to instruments and cockpit watches.

Regarding timber species used to construct British propellers, although many, perhaps most built examples are mahogany, I have seen "select American walnut" specified on at least one Royal Aircraft Factory propeller drawing.

Comment

Working...
                X