Unidentified propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unidentified propeller

As a newbie on this forum, I'm hopeful that some knowledgeable member might be able to cast some light on this propeller that I've owned for many years; in fact it was my very first purchase on eBay when very few people in the UK had even heard of eBay!
    Unfortunately, there are no identification marks on this propeller at all, but the dimensions are:
    86 1/4" tip to tip
    3 1/4" dia bore
    6 7/8" PCD fixing holes, each of 1/2" clearance dia
    9 1/4" overall dia/width boss x just under 7" depth.
    I was hopeful that the Shuttleworth Collection could identify it when I took it to them many years ago but it was not to be.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

It could be almost anything, but the absence of stamped information suggests a manufacturer reject. The left hand thread certainly suggests a British application, and the design looks more modern, i.e. 1930s era or later.

I think it's fair to say that almost any prop without stamped information is "unidentifiable" with any kind of accuracy, as there are probably thousands of possibilities.

Comment

Hi Dbahnson, many thanks for your prompt response; very much appreciated.

Whilst I'm not surprised at your "unidentifiable" response, I was kind of hopeful that the bore diameter and PCD/fixings might have been unique to a particular aero-engine manufacturer at least. Instead, it appears to be as impossible as trying to identify a particular make and model of car from just the wheel measurements!

Comment

Originally posted by fastlane99 View Post

Instead, it appears to be as impossible as trying to identify a particular make and model of car from just the wheel measurements!
        Exactly. The most you might accomplish is to narrow it down to one or more engine models, any of which could have been used on dozens of airplanes, and then you get diameter and pitch information that is specific to some aircraft/engine combinations. So no matter what you are just making a guess.

Frankly, the only thing that I think the hub dimensions are useful for is to eliminate a specific engine guess, since the hub was pretty much part of the engine itself.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond further.

Comment

Working...
          X