Plugged sunbeam arab 1 propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugged sunbeam arab 1 propeller

Hi I’ve just acquired this sunbeam propeller! Could anybody shed some light on why the holes would be plugged also the extra holes that are slightly drilled? see pictures! Thank you
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

I don’t know how I missed this before but there’s a big clue to the possible application of your propeller.
    Immediately after the contract number G1485, is a stamping that reads N2.
    The Fairey N2a was a 1917 prototype that was eventually developed into the Fairey lll.
    I have so far found no source other than Wikipedia, which states that one application of the Sunbeam Arab was the Fairey N2a.

Somewhere, I am sure, there will exist a record that will tie in your contract number and design number to a specific type.
    In the meantime, this is the best that we have to go on.

Comment

Thank you that’s another bit of this puzzle coming together! Not sure if you saw the reply I’ve had from another member but he’s given me this information My AB serial number isn’t listed but it falls between the 3 planes in this list! See pic
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtskull View Post
        I don’t know how I missed this before but there’s a big clue to the possible application of your propeller.
        Immediately after the contract number G1485, is a stamping that reads N2.
        The Fairey N2a was a 1917 prototype that was eventually developed into the Fairey lll.
        I have so far found no source other than Wikipedia, which states that one application of the Sunbeam Arab was the Fairey N2a.

Somewhere, I am sure, there will exist a record that will tie in your contract number and design number to a specific type.
        In the meantime, this is the best that we have to go on.
        I'm a little uncertain about that possibility, since thousands of British propellers have the "G/N" sequence identifying the group and number designation. Why would this be different? I would expect to see a G/N pairing then an additional N2a, probably after "Sunbeam Arab" in the sequence.

Comment

Thanks for info! I think my quest on this propeller is near its end! Can I ask your opinion do you think this is the only Sunbeam arab 1 propeller left in the world? I’ve searched the net for a few weeks now and cannot find another! I’ve learned that there are only 3 arab 1 engines in the world, I’ve found one no idea where the other 2 are!

Comment

No, I think there are probably quite a few of them around. There's just no exposure for them.

Comment

Thanks for info. Sorry I can’t give up the search yet I’m addicted! Could you tell me what these numbers mean please G1485 N2 on the hub.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Those are production batch numbers used on British propellers, referring to "Group" and "Number". According to Bob Gardner they were implemented around September 1917. The "G" was a Ministry group number assigned to manufacturers, and the serial number "N" was typically from 1 to 100. He seemed to be able to correlate those numbers with a range of actual production rates but unfortunately I don't know what he used to gather that information.

Comment

Working...
                X